Chapter 16

[ Edited on July 11, 2016 ]

_____

Romeo didn't visit Juliet tonight.

Christian only managed to catch a conversation between her two brothers on his way to her room. It was either no one heard him enter the front door or they chose to ignore him. Shaking his head to clear his conflicting thoughts about the possibility of it, Christian slowly approached the kitchen doorway, tilting his head slightly so that he'd see them inside.

Carlos sat hunching on a stool with a tub of ice cream in his arms while Brian was leaning his back against the kitchen counter. It was clear to him — and anyone else who would have seen it — that Brian was angry at the moment. "We could have held him for questioning. He's an important key to knowing anything about Father's murder," seethed Brian as he crossed his arms across his chest.

Carlos shoved a spoonful of ice cream into his mouth and nodded sadly. "But you said it yourself," he answered as his voice cracked. "He killed himself before you had the chance to reach him." Christian didn't have any idea what or who they were talking about, but it seemed that it meant a lot to Brian as he clenched his fists from anger.

"Tricky bastard," Brian mumbled mostly to himself. "He hasn't even talked or made contact with anyone else lately." To this, Carlos (and Christian) raised both of their eyebrows as a silent question to Brian. "No fresh scents on him."

Thinking that it was the best time to let his presence known, Christian stepped out of the shadows. He gulped nervously when both siblings turned and stared at him through red rimmed eyes — Brian's were frighteningly blazing from silent anger and Carlos' just looked lost and depressed.

"Uh, bad time?" asked Christian, breaking the silence between the three of them as he uncomfortably rolled on the balls of his feet.

Brian's jaw ticked as he shook his head. "You should — Alexa's in her room," said he before turning around, shoving his hands into his pockets and walking out of the door. Unsure if he should follow Brian out or finish his quest in sharing a tub of ice cream with Alexandra, he glanced at Carlos. Carlos gave the ice cream in his hands a pointed look before slightly shaking his head.

"Believe me, bro, I tried. She just — I don't know what to do now," he said, his shoulders sagging further if it was even possible. "We — none of us — even knew that it would happen," continued Carlos as he pushed the remaining ice cream around the tub he was holding. His eyes started to tear up as he spoke, which made Christian uncomfortable since he had no idea how to comfort someone who was crying — especially a guy.

They give each other brohugs and tap each other's backs, right?

"With Father gone, I — I don't know what to do — or to think, even. Should I be angry like Brian or — I don't know — depressed like Alexa?" Carlos pursed his lips and wiped the tears away with his hand. "I feel like I've failed to fulfill my role as her older brother."

Christian tucked his tub under his arm and awkwardly placed his hand on Carlos' shoulder. "You are the funniest guy I know, Carlos, and I think your contagious smiles and jokes are what we all need to keep ourselves together." Christian felt like an idiot at what he said because Carlos' frown deepened. "Uh," he pulled his hand back and realized that he was sweating. "I'll go find — er — go to Alexandra and try my best to cheer her up."