Chapter 19- Sea Shells & Waves

I sat on the balcony outside of our room. Ren and mine's room.

The storm had cleared up, but it was still overcast. Not too many people were at the beach today even though it was sort of humid.

'Ren and I never got to go to te beach together,' I thought. It was true. Out of all the time we had lived here, not once did we go to the beach together. Not once. I walked into our room, and into the closet to look for the bathing suit Ren had bought me. Once i found it I put it on and looked at myself in the mirror. Ren had bought it for me just because we had moved. The bathing suit top was strapless that was red with white stripes on it. The bottoms were the same but with little anchors on the sides. 'Ren would have loved this,' I thought to myself. I sighed and put on a black muscle tank with some shorts.

As I walked into the elevator someone's hand came right through to hold the doors open just before they closed. The elevator doors opened and revealed a young looking boy. The boy looked to be a little older than me. He had light brown hair that looked messy and stuck out all over the place. He was very tall, about a head taller than my 5'5 self.

"Which floor?" He asked. I was being shyer than normal because I slipped on my black Ray-Bans and said, "The lobby." He pressed the 'L' button and sighed. "Soo, uhm, I see you around this building quite often. Live here?" He was trying to be friendly. "Yeah actually, I do. Apartment 7D." I have no clue why I just told him my apartment number. "Awesome. Apartment 5D. I just moved here from New York-" he stuck out his hand to shake mine-"my names Whiley, by the way." I hesitantly shook his hand and said, "Amelia." He smiled at me, "Thats a pretty name." I tried to be polite and return the smile, but I kept my head down and eyes to the floor. I wasn't ready to talk to anyone yet.

The elevator doors opened with a loud ding. I walked out as quickly as possible before he grabbed my hand. "Hey wait! We should hang out sometime!" He said. I started to shake and my eyes began to water. Good thing he couldn't see my eyes behind my sunglasses. "I, uhm, I have a boyfriend. So. Yeah, sorry, but no." I walked away before I could hear his response. I was defenitly not ready to start making friends with anyone, especially with guys.

When I got to the beach, I shook off my flip-flops and made my way to the shore. The hot sand tingled my bare feet, but it was somewhat soothing. Little pieces of broken sea shells pierced my feet. After a while of walking through the sand, my feet got used to the little things poking the bottom of my feet. Finally, I reached the shore and walked along where the water would barely come up against the sand. The cool water felt amazing against my feet. I stopped walking and looked out into the horizon. The ocean met the sky and the sun was hidden behind the clouds, threatening to break through.

I breathed in the ocean air and my lower lip started to quiver.

'If only Ren were here.'

I imagined him behind me with his arms wrapped around my waist, and his head resting on my shoulder. His light gray eyes would pop in this weather. He would have loved the beach. Wherever he is now, I'm sure he's happy.

I looked down and noticed a small sand crab on my foot. When the small waves crashed over my feet, the crab disappeared.

I walked farther from the shore line, and more onto the dry sand. I sat down and let my thoughts rest. A perk of living near the beach is that the sounds of the waves crashing and the seagulls can calm your mind.

I closed my eyes and tried my best to remember what Battery City looked like. Only faded images came to me. Meadow...or field maybe? I dont know. I tried again, but nothing came to me.

With my head now in my hands, I began to cry.

Ren will never know that I cant find my way back to Battery City.