Chapter 5

~Rose~

"Why are you home so late?" Penelope asked sleepily from where she lay sprawled on the couch dressed in a white dress that she used for pajamas.

"There was a little vampire fight after school earlier, plus I had to fill the others in on what's going on." By 'others', I meant my friends. They were the only other vampires in this town who were friends, since we keep moving from town to town after we graduate over and over again. Diana and the twins mostly stick with us, though.

"Oh, okay." She yawned and struggled to keep her eyes open.

I was surprised. I didn't expect her to be so tired that she'd fail to follow her normal routine in scolding me for coming home so late. That's unusual.

"So what were you doing that made you so tired?" I asked. "Were you with Mark?"

"Uh huh. I finally told him. He only loved me more." She smiled sleepily at me.

Wait, he took it well? He believed her? And he didn't even try to run? If I were him, I would've at least thought she was crazy or ran away from her until she explained that she wasn't going to kill me.

"How do you know that you can trust...?" I didn't finish, because when I looked back at her, she was asleep. She looked so peaceful.

I put her arm around my shoulder and helped her up to her bed. She was smiling in her sleep. She really did love him, didn't she?

I pulled the blanket over her and turned the lights off.

"Night-night, Penny," I whispered and left the room. As much as I hated to admit, I was starting to worry about her. Does she really think she can trust Mark? She's only a human year older than me, and I don't trust any humans.

Something's up with him, and I'm going to find out. Even if it kills me...again.

I dialed Diana's number and waited for her to pick up.

"Hey." She answered.

"Hey Dee, I think something's off about Penny's boyfriend. Could you keep an eye on him if you ever manage to cross his path?" I asked hopefully.

"Yeah sure. I'm already plotting right now." I chuckled at her.

"Thanks." I hung up and started to think.

Everyone has some kind of reaction when they find out that their friend is a vampire. Even I didn't believe my parents when they told me that dad was a vampire.

I blinked at the vague thought threatening to lure me into a trance as I reminisce the memory. No need to relive it. Nuh-uh. Never.

Well, whoever did kill them is really skilled if they managed to hide from me for fifteen whole years. It's really aggravating when you think about it.

I was suspicious about Mark before, now I was even more. He wasn't human, I knew that for sure. Could he be helping out with these murders?

As I was thinking about the possibilities, there was a knock on the door. I frowned, wondering who would be at the door this late.

Once I opened it, my frown deepened. There stood Fallon, now wearing a black sleeveless Tee and jeans while leaning on the doorway casually. His muscled, amazing arms were exposed for me to gawk at. His big crimson ring on his middle finger somehow made him look hotter.

But what confused me more was the guy next to him.

It was another vampire. He had wavy hair, like Fallon, except his was brown. He was in a pair of dark blue jeans and a red T shirt.