Chapter 30

~Rose

My eyes sprang open. I was met with a white substance draped everywhere, fluffy and soft-looking. I frowned. Well, winter snow certainly came late this year. I wondered if Fallon had something to do with the delay.

It was still dark outside, eternally night time. Stuck at midnight actually. Maybe these two were linked.

I puffed out a white cloud of fog. I was sitting outside, half buried under a sheet of white snow.

Mumbling to myself, I stood up and dusted myself off. A burgundy mailbox caught my eye. I tilted my head. Since when did Fallon and Joe have a mail-box?

I glanced around in confusion. This was...My house. Not the Draganov residence, this was the house I used to live in before all this. The one three of my family members died in. 

What the hell was I doing here? I made my way to the door and pried it open with some difficulty because of the snow that had almost sealed it shut. I entered. A wave of warm air welcomed me and I gladly bathed in it. It was a good change.

I heard a growl. My head snapped towards the window at the other side of the room. It was suddenly bright outside. Like summer with absolutely no trace of snow.

What was going on?

I peered closer out the window. There was something at the edge of the window. A...Boot?

It was connected to a leg all right. I could see the black jeans clearly. But that's all I could see. 

I huffed and opened the window. Yes, I was going to hop out the window instead of using the door like a civilized person.

I swung my legs down and halted. There was nothing there.

I heard another growl, this time to my left. I headed to the side of the house, taking slow, cautious steps. With passing second, the uneasy feeling in gut that appeared the moment I heard the sound worsened. What would I find? I suddenly didn't want to know, but I was too late.

I turned the corner of the house and rested my hand on the wall. 

Two figures were on the ground. Male and female. The latter was on her back, arms spread out. The boy was hovering above her, holding himself up with his hands planted firmly on the ground on either side of her. A dark head was bowed to her neck.

I stepped closer, squinting my eyes. There was more to it. The boy was shirtless, wearing black jeans and boots. I realized it was his leg that I had seen. Upon closer inspection, I noticed something red at the side of the girl's neck, exactly where the boy's mouth was positioned.

The boy raised his head. I froze in my steps, searching frantically for any signs that this wasn't him. That it wasn't Fallon.

But the straight hair, the dragon tattoo on his forearm, those dreaded demonic eyes confirmed it. His fangs were still elongated with the girl's blood dripping from them and down his chin. His inhuman eyes narrowed at me, held some sort of deadly excitement sparkling in them.

It hit me like a slap. It was predatory. Identical to the look on his face the second time I had seen him, at school among a crowd of students. This is what he had wanted to do with me.

I peered closer at the girl and recognized the bronze skin, the curly chocolate hair, the rosy lips. It was me. A bite from a demon kills a vampire. I was lucky the first time because I was half vampire before. I was positive what a second bite would do. He was killing me.

The wound on my neck looked mangled, abnormal. Fallon wasn't only drinking my blood. He was eating my flesh.

Suddenly the dead girl's eyes opened and she took in a big mouthful of air. My brows sunk in confusion. She couldn't sit up, all she could do was bump chests with Fallon before falling back down.