Chapter 41

~Rose

I finished the entire cake. It was delicious, exploding with flavor. I briefly wondered when he had the time to make it what with worry having to hang heavy on our shoulders every second of the day. 

I swung my feet over the edge of the bed and looked around. This room was familiar...

I made my way to a large mirrored table, staring at my reflection as I closed in. I glanced down at the desk. Once again, the objects neatly lying on the polished wood sparked some sort of memory in my mind. I had the sudden urge to make that spark linger long enough to completely form one.

A blue-stoned necklace caught my eye. I lifted it from the desk and stared at it in my hand. Glancing up at my reflection again, I spotted the same necklace resting at my neck. I raised my free hand to it just to run a finger gently over the stone. It meant something. I'm sure of it. 

A face in the mirror made me gasp. In place of my own reflection, there was someone else. A boy. And he was staring right at me.

I stared at him. The face that haunted me ever since my first life. I've seen him before. And I hated him.

Growling loudly, I swung my fist at the glass. Spider-cracks traveled across the entire surface in a fraction of a second and shattered it into large shards. I changed back into some jeans. I needed to find Stoyan, or whatever it was they called him.

Hopping out the window like a hooligan, I took a car parked in the garage. The keys were in ignition thankfully. I started the engine and drove off. I didn't know specifically where I was going, but I knew in my mind I had this vague image that would lead me to him.

The radio started. A song blasted through the speakers, someone singing about how she needs no hero. I gave it a look before tightening my hands on the steering wheel.

I pushed at the accelerator, almost as if I was trying to drive away from my fears. Shake them away. Hope it was only a dream.

I started when something landed on the roof. Anyone else would of slowed down. The car swerved to the side before I regained control.

A head peaked down at my through the windshield. It was no one I knew. But a creature I knew for sure, I thought as red eyes stared out at me.

I flicked on my windshield wipers, the song blasting in my ears. I cracked a self-satisfied smile as the wipers hit him in the face again and again. Wildly, he grabbed both of them and held them immobile as he hissed at me. If he wasn't potentially trying to kill me, I'd be laughing.

I ran the washer fluid into his open mouth and watched him gargle it for a moment before purposefully swerving hard at a corner. The vampire almost flew off the vehicle, only hanging on the side by the side-mirror. He reeled his fist back and rammed it into the glass.

I caught his fist, glass showering down on me like tiny needles. I guided his wrist through the gap in the steering wheel and yanked the wheel to the side.

His bone cracked and he wailed in pain, wrestling with the wheel with his other hand to free his wrist. The car went out of control as we fought for the upper hand. 

Before I knew it, another vampire crashed through the windshield and into the passenger seat. It turned to me, getting ready to pounce.

This time I hit the breaks. The sound of tires screeching almost countered the loud music as he was flung like a rag doll, back out the gaping hole in the car that used to be a window. 

I slammed my foot back down onto the gas pedal. The car went up unevenly as I ran over the body. I grabbed the steering wheel with one hand and jammed my elbow up the first vampire's chin. He let a wheeze and I turned the wheel again, guiding the side of the car into a tree.