Chapter 27

Yup, just goofin off. ;) (gif) 

This dedication is so for Norkers' motivating attitude towards me. It made me publish so damn early too. Love you, Norkers!  <3

~Rose

I immediately attempted closing my mouth to conserve whatever oxygen I had left. I had let go of her, and now I was trying to get out of the water, break free from the surface. It was like the water had turned to acid. And now it was burning at my skin, dissolving the thin layer of it as it worked its way to my flesh.

My hair was floating around my head like ink, creeping into my vision as I stared out in front of me. I could see the dark sky refracted above it.I closed my eyes to shield them from the sting, but to no avail. My head was getting woozy. The severity of the burns forced my eyes back open. 

The acid entered my lungs. I choked with pain, now starting to panic. Why was the surface so damn far away?

But after a moment of horrific realization, I hadn't fallen so deep into the acid-water in the first place. It was I who was going slower than ever, my movements restricted with the agony of the burns. Both external and internal. They were slowing rapidly. 

I reached my hand towards the surface in vain. And they altogether stopped.

My body hung in the water, ever so slowly sinking back centimeters at a time. My eyes were half closed, keeping them on the big silver moon above the surface. Red streaks crept into my vision and surrounded it. I could see my hand now, blurry but visible with the little consciousness I had left. It was raw, bloody, rapidly dissolving away to soon reveal the bone underneath. 

I guessed that was what the rest of my body looked like. I couldn't imagine how my eyes were, nor did I bother now. Soon I'd just be a pile of bone, burned and sizzled to death. This must be the worst way to die.

Something grabbed my outstretched hand.

The liquid disappeared around me.

I landed on solid ground. I coughed harshly, forcing the burning liquid out of my lungs. It stung my insides further on the way out. Locks of wet hair stuck to my face as I rolled to the side, my vision still red and blurry. I involuntarily let my eyes flutter closed, blackness overwhelming my senses. Throwing me into unconsciousness layer by layer.

The last thing I felt was a gust of cold air brushing against my hot burns.

*****

My eyes sprang open. I gulped a mouthful of air, my chest heaving almost painfully. A flash of bronze skin caught my eye. I glanced at my arm next to me. It still had long streaks of pink across it, but one hundred and ten times less severe as it was initially.

I blew a sigh of relief, though I could feel a sharp pain shoot up my stomach every time I shifted. I rolled onto my back, a groan slipping past my lips. The hard marble was cold against the bare skin of my lower back from the material of my shirt sticking to my skin. 

Wait, marble?

I bolted upright, taking in my surroundings. It was a dark place, dimly lit by orange bulbs scattering the ceiling. It seemed like an oil factory because of the dark patches of oil stains on the ground. Large metal cylindrical cans were neatly stacked around, along with discarded electronics and a few generators here and there. The source of electricity. I must have been located in the basement.

"Familiar?" I turned my head to the sound. I growled at her, snapping my jaws.

She raised her hands in a gesture of surrender. "Whoa, take it easy. I was the one who had to suffer the burns with you."