Chapter 20

~Rose~

I pulled the blanket closer around me. The night was cold, and since I was only half vampire I actually felt as cold as a human would while these guys barely felt anything.

I was sitting sideways in the backseat of a black car, covered in a blanket that I also used to hide the knife. Luckily I had time to retrieve it from that underground room.

Matt was being examined by Fallon himself for his unusual behavior. He just stood there as he did his job, staring at something in the distance.

Right now, Alpha Damien approached me and leaned his arm on the car roof, ducking his head so he could look at me. "A deal's a deal, Rose. I helped you, now you help me find her."

I raised my brow. "Does that involve you having to move in?"

He smiled, for the first time since I had seen him. "No. It involves you bringing anyone you interacted with recently."

I shrugged. "Sorry to say, but that only included two girls."

"Then bring them. Or call me over once you're settled. I'll give you our number."

"Are the bodyguards going to follow me?" I asked distastefully. "I can defend myself, plus with Fallon here no one is going to be able to look at me and live. He hates wolves in his home as much as you hate vampires in yours."

He sighed. "I don't 'hate' vampires, I try to encourage my pack to get over their beef with them since it clouds their judgement. It happened before." His brown eyes stared down at me. "Besides, you're not a complete vampire." He handed me a piece of paper with a number on it. "Keep in touch."

I smiled at him and as he left, it faded away. Was I really ready to kill my own friend? Am I capable of the very thing I have sworn not to do the night Penny died? I have always looked down upon the very idea of killing your own friends. This was no different.

I watched as Fallon led Matt towards the car, holding his arm around his neck for support. Matt still looked dazed.

I cleared my throat and tightened the blanket around me as he sat him in the seat next to me. He glanced up at me and smiled. "Hey."

"Hey," I whispered. I stared out the window as we drove off, watching the Alpha and his pack looking at us. We drove for a while, the whole time I was trying to gather it in me to stab him with the knife.

I mean you've only known him for like a week or two, it's not like it's going to hurt you.

But it will.

Suddenly the car jerked forward as he slammed the brakes. I wasn't wearing my seat belt, stupidly, and that caused me to be thrown forward with the car. I had only a split second to turn so that my side hit the back of the front seat instead of slamming straight into it—possibly causing me to hold my hands out in front of me to avoid my face getting injured. That would have disturbed the blanket and revealed the knife in my hand.

Matt was wearing one, so he wasn't thrown forward with as much force as me. Sitting there with that confused look on his face he almost seemed back to normal.

My gaze landed on Fallon's body half way out the car. His eyes were trained on something in front of us, and he looked angry.

I tucked the knife into my jeans pocket, covering the sheath with my shirt, before stepping out of the car after him. I followed his gaze—and froze.

One of her pawns, probably the most infuriatingly irritating one that seemed to enjoy toying with us almost as much as she did stood in front of us. And surprisingly, he wasn't smirking.