Chapter 28

This fight is a continuation from the last chapter, that's why I repeated the song. Just so you know. Can't have a song at the intro of the fight and not during it. 

~Rose

I hit the cans hard. The metal cylinders clattered loudly to the ground, crashing, spilling black oil all over everything in its path.

With an irritated growl, I sprang off of them and back to my feet like a wound up jack-in-the-box. Nate was advancing on me. His hand rested on one of generators and he glanced at it, as if a new idea struck him.

I watched in mild amusement as he managed to lift it, disconnecting it from all the wires. The dim orange tint provided by the bulbs disappeared, our only source of light now the fireworks lighting up the room with several different colors at different intervals.

And in a second, the metal came flying at my face.

With a wild duck, I narrowly avoided it. It landed on the ground, skidding till it hit the wall. It crashed to pieces, spurting out chunks of twisted metal in its wake.

The moment I turned around, a hand wrapped around my throat. I seized his wrist and bashed my head into his. I heard a crack and he immediately let go of me, clutching his own forehead in pain. I sent a hard kick to his jaw.

Well, tried to.

He caught my ankle and in a second, I was on my behind with him looming over me. I deflected his hits, blocking them just in time. My hand flew to his neck and I twisted around, putting my whole weight into it as I reversed our position. As soon as I did it, his hand was around my own throat again. He was squeezing it in a crushing grip.

I gasped, forcing myself to return the pressure on his windpipe. He grunted from the pain and during that lasting ten seconds, we each willed ourselves to not give in.

Until I couldn't take it anymore. I was starting to see stars. 

My free hand grabbed his wrist and with a jerk of my own, I pried his hand free. I allowed my canines to lengthen before I dug them into his palm.

He yelped, trying to break free. It was just a second-long action, but that small portion of blood was just what I had needed these past few days. I recoiled from him, baring my red-stained teeth in a long, vicious hiss.

I stopped when I felt something jam into my abdomen. My mouth hung open, soundlessly choking. His blood dripped down my mouth. Slowly tilting my head down, spilling my brown hair across his chest, I spotted his claws firmly embedded into my chest. Ready to take action that will free me from this—

No. 

I seized his head with both hands with a newfound anger, sinking the sharp claws of my thumbs into each of his eyes. A loud bellow rose in the air. Blood spurted down his face to form puddles on the ground around his head, the rest spraying everywhere else like an exploded soda can. 

His hands found my wrists, keeping me from applying more pressure. And then he disappeared from under me, causing me to drop onto my hands and knees.

Confused, I glanced up at the feathers dropping from the ceiling. A black crow flew upwards, angrily cawing down at me.

I gracefully rose from the ground, eyes locked on him. He flew all around the room, gliding through the air. I picked up a toolbox and shifted my position on an especially sharp looking screwdriver. I threw it at him like a dart. He dodged the tools as they came flying at him quickly, advancing on me.

His claws were spread out as he flew past me. I cried out, raising a hand to my cheek. A wet liquid dripped down my face.

A low growl rose from within me and heaved the metal box at the bird. It dropped to the ground like a stone. I lurched forward to finish it off.