Chapter 16: Uncomfortable Friction

MACKENZIE POV

The weekend went by without any hitches. Jason never brought up my situation and I never asked about his relationship with his grandparents. We just had fun, slept all day, ate, and went places far away from the city so we wouldn't run into anyone I knew.

I was so grateful that Jason had never invited any of our friends to his place. I'm sure he had plenty of screw buddies here, but I bet he brought them at night. Sneaky slut...but smart too.

He had also been screening calls that could possibly be from my dad or Autumn. He sent everyone to voicemail and didn't read a single text message from them. If it wasn't one of them calling then his phone was silent. At one point he just put his phone on airplane mode.

Jason and I went to the store to buy a few outfits that would last me a couple of days while I stayed at his place. Shopping with him was an interesting experience when compared to shopping with Chloe and Autumn. He was like me, get in, find what you need, and get out. I loved it.

It was Sunday night when we got home at 2 in the morning.

Right now, everything was peaceful except for the gray cloud hanging over my head that kept shouting at me to tell my mother about Autumn and my dad...her soon to be ex-husband I'm sure.

I used Jason's phone to call her. Unfortunately, it only rang twice.

"Jason, where is my daughter?" My mom answered.

"Hey mom, it's me." My voice cracked a little. It's wonderful and terrible to hear her voice knowing the news that must follow.

"Where have you been?"

"I've been staying at Jason's," I explain.

"May I ask why?" She says impatiently.

"Because..." I pause taking a deep breath. "Because..."

"Well?" She inquiries.

"Mom, I've been staying at Jason's because..." Go on Mackenzie say it.

I pause for another second...2...3...4...5...6 seconds.

"Because I was having really bad cramps again and no one was at home so I came here to sleep it off and I dropped my phone so I had no way of calling you or dad. I'm sorry if you were worried that's why I was calling you tonight." I say in one breath.

Way to chicken out Mackenzie.

She doesn't say anything as she processes what I said.

"Honey, the bad periods returned?" She asks concerned. "You should've called me so that I could order you some medicine."

"I know mom. I'm sorry," I say feeling like a coward.

"I'm sorry I'm not there honey. Are you feeling any better?"

"I'm getting there," I lie. "Look mom, I don't want to hold you. I just wanted to let someone know I was still alive." I laugh with no sincerity. "I hope you're having a wonderful time and taking lots of pictures for me."

"I am honey. It's so wonderful here, but if you need me to come back just say the word and I'm on the first plane out of here. Understand?"

"Yea mom. I got it. Sorry for worrying you. I'll see you later," I say. I can't speak to her anymore knowing that I too am betraying her by not telling her this horrible thing that I know.

I'm as much of a terrible daughter, as my father is a father and husband and as Autumn is a best friend. I shake my head and put those thoughts away deciding to get ready for bed instead of stress.