Chapter 21: New Levels of Trampitude

JASON'S POV

     My grandmother smiles slightly at the information of Mackenzie and I not dating.

     Nick's eyes widen at Mackenzie's reaction then he clears his throat. "Oh, well, umm, they're friends."

     I think I hear her mumble, "No we're not," but I wasn't completely sure.

     She's trying to be touch, but I can tell that the longer she looks at me the more her anger turns into hurt.

     Why is she hurt though? She's the one that ended it. Is she hurt because I don't want to be friends? She's the one who finally realized that I'm not good for her.

     She turns to stalk away, and I take a seat looking at Nick who looks upset, but covers it up with a shrug.

     "She certainly is a darling young lady, so lovely too Mr. Gold." My grandmother says which is odd because she and Mackenzie didn't exactly have the best first encounter one could imagine.

     "I agree," Maxwell adds. "She's such a lovely girl."

     So now they're kissing butt because Mackenzie is the daughter of the man they're doing business with.

     "Thanks. She's usually a little more well-mannered, but she had a long week," Nick says pointedly at me.

     "I'm sure it's just because she didn't get her way or something," my grandmother says with an insincere chuckle. Pretenders.

     Then her words hit me like a brick sock. 'She didn't get her way.'

     I hadn't seen things Mackenzie's way. She had said that she didn't want to play the game anymore not that she didn't want to be with me. She just didn't want to pretend to be together, she actually wanted to be with me.

     She said the same thing I'd been trying to get her to say on the side of the road.

     Freaking great! Now I'm the bad guy because I kissed the living daylights out of her and then didn't call or see her for almost a week after we finally started dating for real.

     I was so used to people leaving that I didn't even consider for a second that she'd stay. It was impossible in my mind that she would stick around someone like me.

     I push my chair out from the table and grab the drink my grandmother had just ordered and threw it back quickly. A drink was required for the massive headache I'd just gotten from my stupidity.

     "We'll be back," I say and turn to chase after Mack. I don't know why I said 'we'. She probably won't even talk to me, but there's this small optimism inside of me that she'll hear me out and listen to my side of the story.

     I checked the bar, and outside, but she wasn't in either of those places. Then I get the idea to check the bathroom. That's where all females go to think, right?

     I head straight for my destination slightly bumping into a waitress. I reach out to steady her and she looks upset before she sees me and then her angry make up covered face quickly transforms into some sort of supposedly sexy smile.

     "I'm sorry," I say absent-mindedly. I look back to the restroom desperate to get there and then back at the waitress to make sure she's ok and then I leave her.

     I go down the hallway and without a second thought I barge right into to the women's restroom.

     "Mackenzie?" I call.

     I look under the stalls and see several pair of shoes with underwear at the ankles. My eyes land on her blue shoes just as she's lifting her feet to hide.