Chapter 15: The Cookie Monster

I woke up in the morning to the sounds and smells of home. Sizzling, popping, sweet, savory scents. It seemed a little out of place because ever since I've been living in this place, it has never felt like home. Not even once.

     For now, the feeling of home was ruined because I had a headache that was hurting so badly it make me want to rip my own head off.

     I pressed a button on the remote from my nightstand which caused the shades to come down, covering half of the windows.

     That made my headache lighten up a little, but not much so I went into the bathroom and downed a couple pills.

     After washing my face and brushing my teeth, I made my way to the kitchen where I saw Mackenzie standing at the stove scrambling eggs. She had headphones in her ears, and a spoon in her mouth of what I assumed was peanut butter considering the open jar next to the oven.

     Her hair was piled into a bun of many different shades of brown on top of her head, and she was wearing an oversized sweater that stopped at the top of her thigh, showing just how much she loved the gym. When she leaned over I saw her black underwear that read "Kiss it."

     How I would love to do just that...and then some...

     She hummed softly to the music, making whatever she was listening to sounds like a lullaby.

"Flashback of a feeling.

Sick sense of a calling.

I heard you fuck through the wall.

I heard you fuck

When I'm bored

I send vibrations

In your direction

From the satellite mind"

     There was more humming again, as she shakes her head looking up to the ceiling with closed eyes.

"I drift into a deep fog

Lost where I forgot to hold it

I can feel your ghost when I'm alone."

     After this she only sings the chorus part which is about hearing someone f*cking through the wall, everything else she hums.

     She's obviously listening to this song because of her father and Autumn.

     I see a tear roll down her cheek which she dashes away quickly. I back away from the kitchen and shout her name, pretending to just be entering the room.

     "Mackenzie?"

     "Uh..." She pauses. "I'm in here," she replies.

     I enter the kitchen like I hadn't just witnessed her crying. She'll appreciate that. Someone like Mackenzie will not want my sympathy. She doesn't want anyone to see her in a moment of weakness.

     I wouldn't either.

     "I thought you were out for the count," she smirks.

     "I was," I state, sitting on a stool at the island. "Then I heard someone talking about screwing through a wall and the spell was broken."

     She laughs. "So you heard that, huh?"

     I lick my lips over dramatically as I shake my head. "Yea, I heard it alright."

     She rolls her eyes and takes the headphones out of her ears wrapping them around her iPod.

     "Hey, where did you get all of this food?" I notice for the first time that not only is she cooking, but she's cooking food. Food that I didn't have in my house last night. I don't even go grocery shopping.