Chapter 18: I Don't Mind Getting Hot

I was just dozing off when my phone buzzed, jolting me awake. 

New Text Message from Nathaniel Harris 

     I get butterflies in my stomach, and they're not the pleasant kind either. 

NATHANIEL HARRIS: Am I in your phone as Nathaniel or Nate? 

     Ok, that random and why is he texting me at half past midnight? 

ME: Nathaniel Harris. Why do you ask? This is extremely random by the way. Lol. 

NATHANIEL HARRIS: I know it's random, but will you change it to Nate. I prefer Nate. 

ME: Ok. I can do that. 

NATHANIEL HARRIS: Thanks.

     Why does he care how he's identified in my phone? I quickly go to my contacts and change his name. 

ME: No problem. What's my name in your phone? 

     He doesn't respond for a few minutes, and I almost doze back off to sleep before he answers. 

NATE HARRIS: Magnesium 

ME: Magnesium? 

NATE HARRIS: Sure 

ME: Lol. May I ask why? 

NATE HARRIS: Because it's tough...and you have to get her really hot to melt her down. 

     I start typing my response, but I get another text message before I finish. 

NATE HARRIS: I don't mind getting hot. 

     I jolt upright as my eyes attempts to escape from their sockets. Was Nate flirting...with me? He did say 'her', but maybe magnesium is universally known to be female. Like Mother Nature or America, or something, right? I don't know how to respond. 

NATE HARRIS: I'm sorry. That was inappropriate. 

     So it was flirting. I quickly decided to act like I didn't notice. 

ME: Magnesium Gold does have a better flow than my real name. 

NATE HARRIS: I apologize Mackenzie. 

ME: Nate, is there something wrong? 

NATE HARRIS: It'd be a shorter reply if you asked me what was right. 

     My heart immediately goes out for the guy. He's really sweet and he's in a relationship with a girl who was the exact opposite of sweet. Acidic would be the closest and most accurate description for Lyndsey. 

ME: Do you want to talk about it: 

NATE HARRIS: Not right now, but thank you. Rain check? 

ME: Sure. 

NATE HARRIS: Promise? 

ME: Pinky. 

NATE HARRIS: I'll hold you to it.

--

     Now that the cat was out the bag within our small circle of friends, Autumn and Luke being together was completely obvious. It was obvious mainly because neither of them talked, flirted, or noticed other people as much as they did before. They still noticed other people but you could tell they were only doing it to maintain their player facades.