Chapter Seventy-Two

Chester's POV

I was certain I'd never walk again, that I'd never be able to run around with my child and bring them up able-bodied. I was certain I was condemned to my life as a disabled man. So, when my trainer said he wanted me walking today it seemed ridiculously ludicrous and I banished the thought straight from my mind before I could even get my hopes up.

"You're strong enough Ches." He said proudly, his low voice sounding hopeful for once.

"I'll try- but no promises." I said back, wheeling my way to the bars. I had stood so many times on these bars- sometimes standing and sometimes falling and something about the prospect of walking in no way excited me but horrified me.

These bars, as stupid as it seemed, made me stable in the mental state as well as physically holding me up. When I felt like falling I could cling on to them and hold them until I felt like I could try again and it was a constant circle of success and failure; they reminded me why I was trying and why I was stopping.

Grace's POV

I fretted frantically around the house, chucking baby clothes and blankets into a bag. I was beginning to tire, my legs becoming weak but my brain forced me to carry on moving and I stuffed bags full of diapers and toys which I never realised I owned. I stared around at the mess I had made and began forcing things into drawers and cupboards, filling boxes and baskets to hide the mess. My legs were aching and every movement was making me nauseous and a thousand times heavier.

I ran, as best as I could, down the stairs, wincing as the weight of my bump held me down. I opened the back door- letting Tilly enter, pouncing at me enthusiastically as she pounded through the door. My phone beeped as I went to get Tilly something to eat and Chester's name enlightened my screen.

"Take it easy okay?" I read his message over, slowly typing a lie of a reply.

"Of course" I typed, reading over his message once more and finally giving in.

"You're lying. Seriously Grace, take it easy." I smiled slightly at his response and laid down on the couch, Tilly joining me.

I placed my hands on my bump and felt the gentle tap press to my skin.

"Your daddy cares a little too much about you little one and between you and me kiddo, sometimes it gets a little tedious, a little irritating at times but you remember and don't ever forget this; he's only looking out for you okay? As annoying and protective he may be he is only doing what's best and he is only doing that because he loves you." I rubbed my hands in circular motions around my rounded stomach.

"And I love you too okay, just as much as Daddy. You're going to be here in my arms soon, that's crazy isn't it? I'm so excited to see you but it's kind of become second nature having you here, inside me; you're so much safer. The world is crazy and it will try to change you, it will try to define you. Don't let it. Don't listen to the people who tell you your sexuality, opinions and likes are wrong, don't let them try and change everything about you. You have to stay true to who you are, okay? You have to scream your opinions and never let someone shut you up, you have to show pride in your sexuality and walk away if someone says it's wrong- because if it's you, it's right. It's what makes you beautiful, independent and kind and no one can dictate your world. Not even me or Daddy."

I smiled to myself slightly, mumbling an imaginary response in my head. I rested my head on a cushion, closed my eyes and drifted off.

Chester's POV

"Right, hands on the bar- like we've practised all the times before." My instructor demanded, his voice having grown more impatient as I had become stronger.