Chapter Forty-Five

Grace's POV

I clung to my father's arm, staring at my shoes as I placed one foot in front of the other. I looked up shly, seeing colourful blurs of people's figures out the corner's of my eyes, my main focus on him.

I wanted to run, adrenaline taking over me. Squeezing my dad's arm I tried to remain stable but not letting the grin fall from my mouth. Today was the day. I approached closer, seeing him in more detail now. His tie was perfectly positioned, his hair just how I liked it. He turned his head slightly, peering towards me. It was only a few seconds but I locked eyes with his, they were the brightest I have ever seen them.

I could feel his smile pulse through me. I felt the same way I had felt when I first met him, when he first said 'I love you', when he'd do the smallest of things which would remind me of just how much I loved him. I felt them all combined and more. The butterflies danced, flew and jumped inside of me. It was the closest I was ever going to get at describing love.

Today was the day. We stopped walking and my father kissed my cheek before joining the rows of guests. I felt unstable as he left but I walked towards my soon-to-be husband and he took my hands gently in his; I felt safe again. We exchanged words through our smiles, I felt tingles run throughout me. I always felt that way around him but today the feeling was doubled, today I felt nothing like I had done before because today was the day I was marrying Chester See.

As I stared into his eyes I saw every second we had spent together: every argument, every embrace, every word and every tear. I relived them all. I felt a single teardrop roll down my cheek and as I locked eyes with Chester I could see a layer of water begin to cloud over his pupils. He caressed the back of my hand with his thumb like he did when I was anxious. Although this time I wasn't scared, Chester would never understand how when I was standing by his side I was fearless. I could take on the world with him.

The pastor turned to us and I felt my heart race a milion beats. It was as if it was just me and Chester and as the pastor started talking I was transported to another world. Before I knew it Chester's voice filled the room, each and every syllable cascading throughout my corpse.

"I, Chester Lionel See, take you, Grace Anne Helbig."

The way he said my name created chills down my spine.

"To be wife."

Wife. It was really happening.

"To have and to hold from this day forward."

Till the very end.

"For better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health."

Through everything.

"To love and to cherish."

I love you.

"From this day forward, until death do us part."

Forever.

Chester's POV

She looked beautiful, her smile lighting up the whole room. I couldn't believe we were actually here, standing here exchanging vows. Now she spoke- her words travelling straight to my heart and burying themselves; I knew I would never forget the way her voice sounded as she made her commitment.

I stared into her eyes as she recited the pastor's words, my body pumping with adrenaline. Her words seemed to flow off of her tongue like she had rehearsed this a thousand times in her head.

"From this day forward, till death do us part." Forever, the rest of our lives and perhaps beyond. She wasn't going anywhere; the thought warming my heart.

Grace's brother passed her the ring. The gold band that would resemble our eternal love. I held out my shaking hand as she slowly slid the ring onto my finger; wanting to make this moment last as long as possible.

"Do you, Chester Lionel See take Grace Anne Helbig to be your lawfully wedded wife for as long as you both shall live?"

The word wife stuck with me as I replied.

"I do." I said quietly, a smirk appearing on my face. The words pounded in my chest, my stomah churning with a feeling I could never explain.

"And do you, Grace Anne Helbig take Chester Lionel See to be you lawfully wedded husband for as long as you both shall live?"

My heart thudded. I knew what she was going to say but I couldn't help thinking the worse. Tears now gently rolled down her cheeks and she breathed in a deep breath before shakily speaking.

"I do." She had said it. It was two words which made my world. My head span, repeating them again and again. They meant everything to me. I do. I was married to her, to Grace. I thought back to when I was lonely and in need of company and how now I'll never be apart. There'll never be a moment when I don't have someone to hold my hand.

The ring slotted onto her finger perfectly. I watched as her face lit up, her eyes shining. She squeezed my hands gently as my tears eventually fell.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride!"

She leaned on her tip-toes, her eyes mystical. Our lips touched, fireworks exploding within. It was as if it was only me and Grace in this room, as if we were back by her hotel room door, back on the New York sky-line, back at the airport, back in our home, back to the night I proposed, back to every moment I had ever spent with Grace. As I looked out across the guests through blurry eyes I thought how far we had come, how through everything Grace was always holding my hand. Now I could hold hers, married; our lives just beginning.