Chapter Fourteen

Grace's POV

"Ches, do I look okay?" I walked out of the hotel bathroom to find Chester all suited up laying on the bed. He looked up at my presence- his mouth forming an O and his eyes wide. He held his gaze until I began to feel uncomfortable under his eyes; I walked over to him and playfully slapped his face- bringing him out of his daze. I was sure my cheeks were a thousand times pinker than normal.

"Wow." He blurted out, pulling me down onto the bed beside him. "When did I get so lucky?" He smirked, pulling me in for a kiss. 

"Nuh-uh Mr See! If you smudge this lipstick I swear to God I'll-" I was cut off by his lips on mine, I could feel the grin on his face through our kiss and at first I pulled away but then that feeling of immense butterflies overtook my body and shivers ran down my spine. I was kissing back- unable to deny the passion and lust within; reminding me of all the reasons why I fell in love with him. 

We were at Kirsten and Lottie's wedding- they were actually really nice girls and their wedding was beautiful. I normally wasn't really into all this cliché-wedding thing but I felt different now- something inside of me had changed. I liked the big extravagant chandeliers, the little molds of the happy couple on the cake, the flower girls; I liked it all. I imagined myself in their situation and for once it didn't scare me, it excited me. All through the ceremony I held Chester's hand and before the vows were exchanged he squeezed it, the feeling making adrenaline pulse through me.

The music changed to a slow song and I admired the newly-wed couple swaying from side to side, their smiles reflecting their love.

"Care to dance?" Chester asked- rising from his seat next to me and holding out his hand. I rolled my eyes but slotted my hand into his. I placed my arms loosely round his neck as he rested his on my hips. We swayed to the music, Chester never stopped smiling once. I laid my head on his shoulder as my mind raced with thoughts of my own wedding- this felt right, if my dress was white then I could so easily imagine that this moment right here was our moment. Chester pulled me tighter and I wondered if he was thinking the same thing; at least I hoped he was because he was what made this so real, because when I pictured my wedding, I pictured Chester. 

The night turned to morning, the guests left one by one and soon only me, Chester and some other couples remained. We had all consumed a little too much champagne and were discussing the future- mostly mine and Chester's; normally I would avoid these conversations but the alcohol within me spoke up. 

"So..when are you two gonna tie the knot?" Lottie said, giggling away. 

I looked over to Chester who was staring back at me, his face a smug mixture of timidness and expectance. I awkwardly turned away from him and poured a little more liquid into the girl's glasses- winking as they raised their eyebrows. 

"How many kids are you having?" Kirsten screamed excitably, this time Chester opened his mouth to speak. 

"Oh, Grace isn't really into the whole ki-"

"Three would be nice, yeah three I suppose." Chester turned to me suprised, I was shocked by what I had just blurted out but didn't take it back. On camera I may seem like a child-hater, the least maternal woman ever but the truth was that I was just scared: terrified of childbirth and motherhood but I said it because of him and the way he made me feel fearless. Chester smiled at me, a conversation through our eyes. His face was still curious but I smiled at him and nodded, confirming what I had just confessed; his smile grew. 

For the rest of the night we were on the dancefloor, wrapped in each other's arms as couples around us did the same. I liked it all, everything that a wedding was and I never thought I would say that but the man's arms I was enveloped in changed my whole perspective on love and I didn't mind at all. 

Chester's POV

I held her close in my arms, breathing in her familair sweet scent. The moment was like a dream; ever since I was a boy I'd picture myself and the girl I loved most in my arms- Grace was making my dreams a reality and I had no doubt that she would keep doing so. I smiled to my ten-year-old self, wishing I could tell him it was all going to get better. Grace and I were in a fairytale with our castle behind us and the world at our feet, when people shook us it didn't rattle or break but made it even more beautiful, I thanked my lucky stars I'd stay in that snowglobe. 

We danced for what seemed like forever, my mind and body getting lost in the music. Grace pulled away smiling at me, her face reflecting majestically. She went to kiss me and at that exact moment my phone buzzed in my pocket, continuously ringing. At first I left it but when someone rings you at midnight on a Sunday you know it's important; I pressed the green button, not knowing that in a few seconds I would be destroyed.

"Mom?" I asked as she whispered the words down the phone.

"He's gone. He's gone Chester."

That was all she was saying, again and again. I dropped the phone to the floor as I fell with it- my body numb. I felt weak and fragile, as if every bone in my body had vanished; like glass I was shattered. My head rung with the words 'he's gone' and they circled the insides of my brain causing me to clutch my head and rock back and forth like a mad man. 

Grace picked up the phone and spoke gently, her face dropping and eyes falling to me. She pulled me up, a tear rolling down her face as she lead me silently out to the car. Here she held me as I whimpered into her arms, my tough guy act falling as she pulled me tighter, whispering into my ears. I could not comprehend what I had just been told, the information refusing to register in my brain but as Grace drove me to the hospital I knew then that it was really happening, that I was on my way to see my dead father.