Chapter Nineteen

Chester's POV

"I'm doing something special anyway- I don't care what you say." 

"Ugh fine but know I hate Valentine's Day more than anything else." 

She whined as I winked at her jumping onto the couch. I smiled to myself at the thought of tomorrow, as much as she persisted she hated Valentine's Day I was sure she would love my gift. 

"Don't get me anything though! The day is all about you." I stated sternly. She rolled her eyes as she rested her head on my chest. 

"Why do you hate it so much anyway?" I laughed as her face took a serious tone- as if this was a very important question. 

"It's so stupid, like who invented a special day where people do cheesily nausous stuff?!" 

"Are you saying we should do cheesily nausous stuff everyday?" I excitably teased as her face turned from serious to disgusted. 

"No! Oh hell no, I'm just saying I don't get it. Can't you love someone all the time?" 

"Of course you can." I said placing a kiss to her head. "But that doesn't change anything; I'm still going to spoil you." 

Grace had podcasts to record all afternoon so I didn't see her till the evening which allowed me plently of time to prepare for tomorrow; there was still a few more things I needed. I stopped at the pet store to collect the last few things before making my way to the dog centre. 

Grace had been talking about getting a dog for months but I knew she would never get round to actually getting one. The dog was exactly how I remembered her, a fawn french bulldog with a white chest and a patch around her eye. She wagged her little tail at me as I approached her small puppy frame. I knew Grace would love her and I was excited to start our little family. 

Grace's POV

The day drew to an end and I processed everything that had happened to me in the seven months, it was all picture perfect, in a way too perfect. Things had never gone this good for me- I was prone to bad happenings. Chester seemed to be my lucky charm and I held him close as we drifted off to sleep- afraid to wake up with him gone. 

"Hey Grace...wake up Gracie, I've got a surprise for you!" He whispered as the sun beamed through the windows. 

"Nooo." I mumbled, remembering what day it was. 

Chester laughed as he leapt out of bed and walked out the bedroom, closing the door behind him. He came back a few seconds later but paused at the door. I could hear him behind it as he told me to close my eyes. 

"Okay, don't freak out. No screaming please."

"Oh my god Chester what is it?!" I heard him chuckle as the door opened. 

I laid in the bed with my eyes closed feeling like a scared idiot. Something jumped on the bed, something that didn't feel human. I could feel light footsteps walking closer towards me as a wet tongue licked my cheek. My body froze and I ever so slowly opened my eyes. Staring me in the face was a dog and an excitable Chester right behind it. 

"Oh my God Ches! It's so cute!" I squealed, sitting up and holding the dog in my lap. 

"She's called Tilly and she's all yours." He came and sat next to me, stroking the dog's head gently. 

"Thank you so much! Wow- hey Tilly!"  She licked my hand as I stroked her ears. 

I kissed Chester gently before turning back to Tilly and jumping out of bed. I never expected this, or anything. I wasn't one of them girls who was showered with cards and gifts for valentines day; more the girl who sat alone drowning herself in soppy romantic films but Chester had changed everything and it was perfect.