Chapter Eighteen

Grace's POV

The day after the funeral was a blur, I spent the day wrapped in Chester's embrace and only a few words were exchanged. It was the day after funerals which always made me weak; as if my brain had only just registered the fact that he was gone. When I broke into sobs Chester didn't ask questions or offer a person to talk to but pulled me into his arms as I melted away. 

 My mind raced with guilty thoughts; I had blamed this all on myself. For some reason I felt as if I was the cause of this, if I wasn't here then maybe Chester's father still would be. 

"Hey Grace? It'll be okay, it'll get better." Chester whispered into my hair as my tears hit his shoulders. I hated how strong he was being for me; it should have been the other way round. 

"It's all my fault Ches." His arms locked firmly around my waist.

"None of this is your fault, it isn't anyone's fault." He almost sounded optimistic. 

"Yes it is, it's all my fault. Everyday you wasted with me doing nothing, you could have spent with your dad. And then you would've been able to tell him everything you never could!"

He pulled away, looking into my eyes- confused. 

"It still would have happened Grace, no matter where I was or what I said. It still would have happened and he still would be unreachable." 

"But I stopped you from seeing your parents and when we did nothing, when you did nothing with me, your father was suffering." 

"But don't you understand Gracie? It's not what you do but who you spend it with and I'm happy to waste day upon day laying around doing nothing as long as I'm with you." 

I looked into his brown eyes as he did the same. He held my hands in his- circling the backs of my hands with his thumb.

"I'd trade a thousand amazingly adventurous days for a single boring day with you."

My lips touched his, the circus of butterflies awakening. Every word which Chester said melted into my heart as the meaning of them tingled throughout my body. To think that a few months ago I was alone walking the streets of New York and went crashing into a man who I could only dream of loving me and look at me now; a thousand feet as I dance in the stars.