Chapter Six: Dressed to Impress

"Ruby pleaseeee can we go shopping?! All my clothes are old and they aren't right". It's ridiculous, I'm having to beg to go shopping. whilst sitting amongst a pile of unsuitable dresses, I hold up a dress that I've worn numerous times "look at this, you know what I look like in it! yes I look ok, but I don't make you go WOW. I need to have a 'wow' impact". At this point I was on my knees by Ruby's feet looking up with puppy-dog eyes. Her stern expression began to falter.

"Fine. But you have to make sure I don't spend ANY money, I'm already in debt with my mum...and you!" I nod agreeing to the terms. "...and lunch is on you right?" She looks at me with a cheesy grin knowing I wouldn't deprive her of food. "Yes I suppose I can do that. Ok? Now let's go, the party is tomorrow and I need to look good!" I drag Ruby by the hand out if my room causing her to almost trip down the stairs after me.

"To the pea-mobile!" Ruby declares running after me, acting as if we are batman and robin jumping into the bat-mobile ready to fight crime.

                **************************

"Frankie stop being so fussy! They all look great on you!"

"But they don't look WOW!" I whined

"Oh and as if you would recognise something that looked WOW when you find it difficult enough to recognise something that's mighty fine looking? you wouldn't recognise it if it hit you square in the face!"

"But, But...you suck"

"Don't take that tone with me missy" waggling her finger in my direction as if she's my mother.

We both lean in to each other so close that our noses are touching and faces scrunched up with anger. We stayed like that, just giving 'the death stare' to each other before we both burst out laughing almost simultaneously.

"Love you Roooooooooobz"

"Love you Frannnnnnnnnkie" both grinning like idiots. Understandably we attracted some attention - an old couple gave us a look of disgust when we were millimeters away from each other, whilst a group of passing lads wolf-whistled (probably both expressing their reaction to the thought we were a couple or something).

We continued looking through the dresses, as if the last 5 minutes never happened. "Oh this is useless ill never look good enough for Luke..." Ruby shot me a look of surprise "is that what all this fuss is about?" She didn't bother hiding her happiness "Ooo then we can't give up!" I smiled thankful that my best friend is just so freakin' awesome. "Thanks hun...but maybe we should just go. Ill wear one of my ol-" I quickly changed my mind "EEEKKKK I FOUND THE ONE I FREAKIN' FOUND THE ONE" I exclaimed lowering my voice to a deeper tone towards the end. Without looking over at Ruby I ran to the changing rooms almost knocking a little girl into a rail of clothes.

"Come on out then! I wanna seeee!" Ruby whined.

"Keep your pants on...you sound like me!" I chuckled bursting out from behind the changing room door revealing my new-found dress. "Whatcha think?!" I posed awaiting nervously for the important best friend approval...

            *********************  

Ruby's POV:

O-M-G. My little Frankie is all grown up! My Frankie is Hawwwt! Yayyyy! I jump up and down clapping in approval "mission accomplished babe!!" Frankie briefly hugs my before returning back through the changing room door. "Oh and you can wear my black platform heels. They will go perfectly, plus your legs will look to-die-for!" there was a small pause before a small voice came from behind the door "I could kiss you - thanks hun!" I smile at myself feeling slightly smug and satisfied that I fulfilled my purpose today as co-stylist and the best-best friend ever!

                ***********************

Although I had gone to an effort to find the perrrfect dress, I decided to keep my hair unnaturally-naturally straight tonight, so that my chocolate smooth hair finished just below my shoulders. I slightly back combed it and gave myself a quiff so that I looked a bit more grown up. Although Luke was only twenty now, it was still two years older than me and I wanted him to feel as if I was mature enough to handle...well him I suppose. I shook my head briefly as if that was the first time I had admitted it to myself. I still couldn't quite believe the way he made me feel, or that I was willing to go through all this for a guy. My stomach was doing back-flips just thinking about him, I tried to concentrate harder on getting ready so that he was at the back of my mind (even though I knew he was still in there).

I mentally went through a checklist to make sure I had done everything. "Makeup emphasising my eyes - check, hair more grown up - check, Sexy red lace dress - check, killer heels - check, matching sexy underwear (no one was seeing it tonight, like usual, but it gives any girl a sense of confidence) - check, smooth legs - check, understated jewellery so i look as if i made little effort - check and ....hmmm..." I cocked my head to one side studying myself when my phone rang "PHONE!" Looking at the caller-ID i answered it straight away

 "Thanks!"

"Mind telling me what for?"

"Just being you Ruby"

"Oh...no problem! I'm outside!"

"Aha, be there in two" I quickly hung up and ran down shouting bye to mum and jumped into my carriage. Ok so don't judge but I felt like Cinderella tonight - she had her pumpkin and I've got a pea! I giggled to myself after realising I was reverting back to my child-like-mind.

"Ready?" Ruby asked after probably knowing I was feeling nervous - we had like intuition or sixth-sense or something between us.

i took a deep breath before nodding " it's now or never...let's go!"

Ruby turned up the radio as a much-welcomed distraction to my nerves and we sang along to whatever was 'current' music these days.

 -----------------------------------

Thoughts?

Hmm so the party is coming up... what will happen next?!

Vote and comment please :D 

Heidi xx