Maybe He Could Be a Good Father

When I awoke, there was light all around me. My head throbbed. I heard stirring around me. My eyes adjusted to the light.

"Hatia?" a familiar voice whispered. My eyes wavered in and out of visibility until I could finally tell that it was Draco who was clutching my hand.

"Oh my gosh," tears flew off of my face in relief,"Something horrible has happened."

Draco placed his hand on my neck, "I know. Everyone knows. Potter and Weasley ran around the castle like gits, yelling that Snape had killed someone. I thought they're mental, but then everyone saw your mum dead, you unconcious, and Snape trembling terribly."

I swatted his hand off, "They aren't gits."

"Fine... Geez," he said,patting his hand. Draco then got up and left the infirmary, taking his foul mood with him. In the bed beside me, I noticed a large figure with it's back turned from me. It was breathing slowly. I had no idea who it was, until I noticed a mass of untidy black hair.

Severus Snape was asleep in the bed beside me. I felt sort of a longing to speak to him; to know if it was true. He didn't seem like the fatherly type. In fact, he was the complete polar opposite. Snape began to twitch. His eyelids flickered open suddenly.

"Professor Snape," I said in a hushed tone, "Why are you here?"

Snape sat up and looked over at me. He narrowed his eyes, "A severe case of shock and collapsing onto the dungeon floor; The exact same reasons why you're here."

"Oh," I muttered, "Are you going to Azkaban for killing my mother?"

"No," he said certainly, "Vendettie Seether was unstable and a harm to others. She was going to hurt many others, and I'm positive that the Ministry will see to my use of the Killing Curse will be ignored."

"Is it true?" I whispered, sitting up straighter, "Is it true, you are....?" I trailed off.

"Yes," Snape muttered, not looking at me, "Yes. What Vendettie said was nothing short of the truth. I am certain that you are, in fact, my child."

I fiddled with the blanket that was covering me, trying to avoid the awkward silence. Snape cleared his throat, "I suppose, seeing as you are my daughter, it would only be right if you stayed at my home in Spinner's End over the holidays and summers. Would that be okay?"

I turned towards him. "Yes... Yes, I would like that very much," I sputtered, a smile creeping across my face. At first, I was sure Snape wouldn't make a good father, but now he's offering me a place to stay so I don't have to go back to Mangemort. He's actually trying.  "Remember what she had said? About the Muggle who was here?"

Snape looked away as if it hurt to think about it, "Yes."

"Did you love her?" I asked, fearing he would get up and leave without answering me.

"Yes," Snape muttered, still not facing me, "I will greatly miss her. I didn't think Vendettie would stoop so low as to Obliviate her memory."

I shook my head, "Do you think you'll ever see her, the Muggle, ever again?"

Snape shook his head sadly, "No. Memory charms don't wear off. If I did see her again, she wouldn't reconize my face or even remember anything that's happened between us."

I decided to turn the conversation another way, "Do you think my mother is really gone? I mean, she won't come back like you-know-who is?"

Snape turned to face me, "Vendettie was the smartest person I have ever met. She, even though her mother is a Squib, was a genius when it came to anything magic relating. Although she is gone now, I'm not promising it will always be that way." Snape lowered his voice, "There could possibly be a Horcruxe somewhere. I am almost certain that there is."

I let that sink in. "So, she's gone today, but could come back tomorrow?"

"Yes, but not exactly that way. It takes time for a Horcruxe to rebuild an entire body. We have some time for now, but we shouldn't wait around for her return," Snape's voice grew quiet. He seemed so tired, I decided to leave him to rest.

I got up from my bed and exited the infirmary. Out in the hallway, Harry and Ron were sitting on the floor talking to each other. They both stood up and walked over to me. Harry hugged me closely, smiling greatly, "Oh my God, Hatia. We were certain you were dying. Madame Pomfey wouldn't let us in infirmary."

Ron stood up and hugged me as well, "Yeah. We just saw Draco sulk by. What did you do to him?"

I laughed quietly, "I made him stop calling you guys names. Did you really run through the halls screaming?"

Harry looked around sheepishly, "Well, The Killing Curse is kinda grounds for something like that."

I smiled gratefully. Ron looked at his wrist,"Harry, we should go back up to Gryffindor tower and get ready for the dance." I had completly forgotten about the dance.

"Shoot," I muttered, "How long till the dance starts?"

"About an hour," Ron said.

I stepped back towards the way to the dungeon. "I better get going too. Bye guys."

"Bye Hatia," Harry said, looking at me longingly. I waved at them and then hurried towards the Slytherin common room. The common room was packed with people trying to get ready for the dance. I ran up to the girl's dorms and put on my dress robes that Dumbledore had put in my chest on the first day of term. The ones I picked out were emerald green and shiny.

I walked back into the common room, ready for the dance. Draco was standing by the door, talking to Pansy Parkinson. I crossed the room and intercepted the conversation. "Hey Draco, " I said, throwing myself into his arms, and, as an overkill, planted a kiss on his cheek. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Pansy clench her fists and stalk away.

Draco seemed suprised from my sudden clinginess. "Well, hello there," he said, begining to laugh, "Do you want to go up to the Grand Hall right now?"

I smiled brightly, "Yeah."

He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and we walked up to the Grand Hall.