" I Won't be Responsible for a Little Girl's Death"

At first, I was sure he was dead. My heart raced. I jumped backwards and put my hands over my mouth to keep from screaming.

"I'm not dead," Snape said. His mouth wasn't moving, and his eyes were barely opened. Oh, I knew this curse. It was Petrificus Totalus, and it basically turns the victim into a stone statue. It was a very simple curse, and I, myself, knew how to do it. I took out my wand and waved it over him, muttering a counter-curse that should free him. Severus moved his arms slowly. "Thank you," he said cooly, opening his mouth.

"No problem," I muttered, rolling my eyes, "Who did this to you?"

Snape stood up and dusted off the back of his cape, "Your father. He went mad, and shot me with a curse."

"He's always been mad," I replied, still angry from what had happened in Mangesmort. I sighed. I may be upset, but I didn't need to take it out on him.

Severus changed his expression. He now looked very worried. "Hatia, it isn't safe here. I know you aren't loyal to Voldemort. Please, just listen to me. You need to get out of here."

I shuddered. If he knew this, how many others did to? Maybe I should tell him about the letter. "Something happened earlier today, Severus. I recieved a letter. From Hogwarts. I was accepted."

Severus raised his eyebrows, "That's unusual. I thought that Hogwarts only accepted first years. Well, I'm sure Headmaster Dumbledore has his reasons. Anyway, how is that going to help you? There's no way you're father will ever let you go there!"

"Yes there is!" I shouted from a sudden stroke of genius, "What if I took the potion! The Muggle is at Hogwarts, right?"

"Yes, but the potion isn't stable. Anything could happen. The second you take that potion, you won't be human anymore. It'll be like you'll be watching yourself from outside your body. Hatia, you won't be able to control yourself! "

"Couldn't you change it? Couldn't you make it so I could control myself?" I said lowering my voice.

"Possibly, but it wouldn't matter. Fuvu, I mean, your father, knows just as much about potions as I do. He'd be able to tell that I had changed the formula." Severus said, coldly. I didn't have much choice.

"Please, Severus, help me," I whimpered, "Please, just change the formula, Even the slightest bit. I don't want to die."

Severus's expression softened. For a moment, I almost began to think that he had thought of something, but then it changed back to an ugly look of regret. "There isn't anything I can do," he whispered, "Nothing. The only thing I can think of is to take the potion and hope for the best." He looked towards the door. "I think I shall be leaving now. Fuvu can get the rest of the potion done on his own. I won't be responsible for a little girl's death," Severus muttered quietly, as he left without even looking at me. He hurried out the door.

I felt terrified. I was going to die. Just as Severus had said, it would be like I was watching myself from outside my body. Something deep in my heart cringed. I felt like crying again, so I went upstairs to my room. It's sad, actually. When I know the worst is coming, and I don't do anything. The letter was right next to me on my bed. It stared over at me. At that moment, I was jealous of every person who has ever gone to Hogwarts. I was so angry I could have smacked them all across the face. Why couldn't that be me? Why couldn't I just be able to see what it's like on the other side, just for one day, or even just an hour? I reread the letter. September 2nd. That was the first day of term. What was today? I couldn't remember. It didn't really matter anyway.

I turned over onto my back, and fell deeply asleep. That night, I had the worst dream of my life.