The Best Moment Of My Life

The days droned on. The looming pressure of finding a person to bring to what was now being referred to as, "The Winter Dance", was begining to effect on the students. Most of my friends had found someone to bring, except Ron, who was starting to get desperate.

"I'll even go with Pansy if I have to," he had said one evening in the library.

Libitina continued to freak me out. Once in a while, she'd call me to a secluded area of the library and interrogate me about Draco. "So, you haven't kiss 'im yet?" She began, sitting far away from Harry and Ron.

"No. I'm not even sure we're going out exactly," I muttered, rolling my eyes. Libby always began the interrogation sessions the same way. Her bright,green eyes narrowed suspiciously.

"Oh. But you are going to 'za dance wit' 'im, no?" She replied, slightly cocking her head.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean anything," I said, trying to nudge away. Libitina stood up and blocked my path.

"Oh, it certainly does," She replied, lowering her head and smiling strangely. I backed up slowly and gripped the shelve. She was honestly scaring me. "Listen, 'Atia, you need to make a choice. I know you really like 'Arry, but that's sad for you. Draco was mean't for you." She backed away and wiped the strange, spooky smile off her face and replaced it with her usual clueless, but happy smile. "'Kay?" She turned and walked back to the table. I stood there for a minute. She had a point. Liking Harry wasn't exactly a great idea. He's "The so-called Chosen One" and I'm a former Death Eater. Somehow, it doesn't seem like it'd ever work out. PLUS, Draco and I were pretty much together anyway. 

It had been almost two weeks since Libby's demented interrogation, and I hadn't talked to Harry at all. I think it was starting to get to me. Sometimes, I'd find myself almost crying for no reason. When Harry would see me in the hallway he'd try to approach me, and I'd have to find some stupid reason not to talk to him. It was almost like my own personal torture.

It seemed like I was alot more miserable than I had ever been at Hogwarts. Draco knew I was sad. He would frequently try to cheer me up by hugging me and such. It was somewhat comforting to know he at least cared. Despite the cheerful hugs and compliments, Draco and I's relationship was still at the same place it had been in October. I could tell he was ready to get closer.

"Hatia," Draco said, running up after Potions, "Wanna walk down to the lake before supper?"

Usually, this is when I'd go up to the library, but this sounded alot more fun than watching Libitina be all over Harry. "Absolutly," I replied smiling broadly.

Like the night in October, nobody was around the lake. Draco and I made our way over to where we had confessed our feelings. Clouds were begining to hover around the lake. A couple raindrops penetrated the lake's surface. Draco sat down underneath a massive tree. I sat down beside him. The rain was begining to fall faster. Draco turned to me and smiled geniunely. "I really like you," he whispered sweetly.

I remembered the night in October. "I know that," I said, lowering my eyes. A raindrop landed on my cheek. I brushed it away.

"Do you? Do you know that I have wanted to kiss you forever, and it destroys me when I see you and I can't express that I seriously care about you, Hatia," Draco said raising his voice. He turned towards the lake, looking annoyed.

"I understand. I... " I never got the rest of my words out, because at that moment, Draco leaned in and kissed me delicately on the lips. His lips tasted sweet, yet at the same time, bitter, and I wondered what he had been eating. I had always heard that when you kiss someone, you see fireworks. I didn't see fireworks. Maybe a firecracker or two but no fireworks, but I'm not complaining. It was probably the best moment of my life.

I'm not sure who pulled back first. Maybe it was me because the rain was falling even harder now. We both sat there for a minute, not sure what to do next. Then, Draco stood up quickly and looked down at me. "Supper... I need to go.."

"Oh right, yeah," I muttered awkwardly and stood up. Suddenly, Draco caught me by suprise. He clutched my hand sweetly, and grinned.

"Race ya to the Grand Hall," He said.

"Oh you're on, Draco Malfoy," I replied still holding his hand. Draco and I then burst away from the tree hand in hand. We kept hold of each other until we reached the castle's steps. I could have easily broke away and beat him, but we still kept by each other's side. I think it was because we didn't want to be apart. We stood at the castle's entrance, giggling under the castle's gate. Lightning streaked down and struck somewhere in the forest, sending an echo of thunder a few seconds later. I was soaked with rain, but I didn't care. Draco placed a hand on my cheek and swiftly kissed me on the lips.

"We'd better go inside," He shouted over the rain and thunder.

I knodded and pulled open the castle entrance. I could feel my lips still buzzing from the kiss. I wonder if everyone else could see how high I was. It was about at that point, entering the Grand Hall, that I didn't regret going with Draco to the dance. I kinda felt naive and arrogant, because I suddenly didn't care that my own mother was coming to murder me, and that I had a mark of terrible shame and evil embedded on my wrist. At that point, I was just happy to have Draco, and I thought that this was true love.

Maybe it was.