Prologue

Emma bit her lower lip to keep herself from crying.

Another day, another endless shower of teasing for her. Was it her fault she was so plain looking? Boring straight black hair and boring brown eyes with a boring plain face, it wasn't her fault she was born that way, wasn't her fault her little sister was way prettier than her, wasn't her fault everyone else just looked darned better than her!

What was wrong with her classmates anyway? It was like every single one of them was out to get her to cry! Maybe it was that darn Ruby Faint's doing. The golden head always seemed to have the hate out for her, but whatever she did to deserve it, Emma could never know in her entire life.

Maybe it was for answering correctly and getting that gold star in physics and receiving the teacher's good words that set her off. Ruby liked being on top, she liked getting everything for herself, every boy in their school had the hots for her... Well, everyone except that Samder kid though.

"Hi."

She jerked her head up to see who spoke, and speak of the devil, there he stood, Oliver Samder, a foot away from the grass she sat on. He was the tallest sixth grader in their school, every girl falling head over heels for him in just one smile, she'd heard, and who wouldn't?A head of well-kept blonde hair that looked so devilishly roguish on him, it didn't matter that it needed a trim, beguiling bright blue eyes that could put the clear skies to shame, a jaw-dropping smile that could make the weak-hearted faint, a face as handsome as an angel's, a flirting mischief even worse than the devil's residing in him. He was the school's heartthrob, and might as well be a heartthrob for the rest of their natural lives, and she knew that he was out of her league, so what was the point in pretending to be okay?

She let the tears roll down her cheeks, though she tried her best to keep a straight face and failing miserably. Oliver immediately showed his surprise with a stutter.

"W-what's wrong?" He asked in worry, dropping his backpack to the grass and kneeled next to her. It seemed so natural for him when he wrapped an arm around her and started comforting her, and that was when she knew that even for sixth graders like them, Oliver was definitely more mature than the rest of the boys in her grade.

"Nothing!" She immediately denied but never pushed him back. His cologne smelled too nice to make him go away.

"Of course it's not nothing!" Oliver shot back, patting her back gently. "Come on, you can tell me, Anderson. I'll understand. If it's a secret, I'll keep it."

As if she was stupid enough to believe that! They weren't even acquaintances, classmates at best, and let alone not friends! "Why are you even here anyway!?" She asked, digressing from her problem at hand.

"I always come here after basketball practice!" He said with obvious perplexity. "It's a nice spot!"

She sniffed. It really was a nice spot. She made her eyes wander to the surroundings she had gotten so familiar with, she was sure she could find it blindfolded. A trickling, gentle stream crossing the small clearing, tall yet soft grasses dancing to the summer breeze, flowers closed yet pretty all the same swaying along the banks of the brook, and the tree she and Oliver sat under was the most glorious and beautiful acacia she had ever known, its tall, winding branches reminding her of fingers reaching for the heavens. Officially, the place was called Troffer Brook, but secretly, she had been calling it her magical getaway. Her getaway from bullying, from life, from a worthless existence...

She raised her brows when she realized something in his words. She looked up at him, completely oblivious to the small space they had between them.