Chap. 50: Bet

BET...

Fluorescent was packed.

And not just in the one-person-per-table-at-least sense, but in the people-who've-never-met-each-other-before-share-one-table sense! Aiden, manager of the café, was completely befuddled the moment he checked in for his shift and entered the war zone without warning.

Rachel, cashier girl for the week, was completely amused by the happenings as she charged as many customers as she could, as fast as she could. And as she kept up with the dozens of orders flooding in each minute, she remembered how it all started during first period.

Emma stood in front of the class five minutes before first period, and her classmates were all ears.

"I made a bet with someone that you guys could help me out with!" She announced ostentatiously.

Cardor was the first person to react, briefly followed by Delicia, the two biggest gamblers in the sophomore department.

"A bet?" Clarified the gamer boy.

"A bet!" Exclaimed the cheerleader girl.

"A bet." The class clown girl nodded.

"What bet?"

Everyone turned to the heartthrob boy who entered the class, bag swung over his shoulder and expression of curiosity. A certain clubber boy was stood behind him.

"Our bet." Emma smiled. "You, me. The only waiters later after school at Fluorescent to serve customers. Everyone we serve will vote for who they preferred, and we tally who was the most popular! Harmless fun, and I've already got Michelle's agreement."

"Oh! That bet!" Oliver remembered.

"What's the catch for you two?" Aaron asked, striding toward his seat.

"Loser gets to do whatever the winner asks them to." Emma answered. "Nothing out-of-line though, that much is obvious. So! I just wanted to ask for everybody's help in spreading the word! The more customers later, the more votes to tally, the higher the chance of me winning!"

The class booed teasingly.

"You already think you've won huh?" Oliver challenged.

"Of course! I have loyal regulars there that'd surely vote for me!" Emma stated in mock confidence.

"Oh, we'll see. I was gonna take it easy on you, but you've dug your grave. Prepare to be beat!"

"As if!"

The class laughed as the hollow threats continued to be exchanged until the teacher walked in and class began. By second period, half the school was already talking about the event. And by last period, students asked to finish early to save their seats. Before their shift even began, the place was already brimming with spectators for the strange ordeal. Residents of the city were, after all, raised gamblers.

The clock struck, and the tables cheered once Emma and Oliver stepped out of the staff locker room, apron and hair meticulously tied for best performance, and orders were taken and served.

To show he was serious, Oliver treated every customer equally, avoiding flirting attempts as much as he could, which was the whole time.

To show she was serious, Emma didn't wear her glasses, and continued doing her job the same as she's always had, only with a bit more effort than usual.

It was fun to watch them work so hard. It made the other staff not working as waiters want to work just as hard. Eli mopped the floor as soon as he saw a stain. Rachel was puling receipts out sooner than the coffee getting mixed. Aiden never left the kitchen, knowing full well he was more needed there. And Michelle...

She was absent from the location, knowing she'd only be wasting a seat if she occupied it. Her vote wouldn't really amount to much anyway, so she decided to lay back and relax in Neo's master control room where she could just watch and enjoy everything from behind a screen.

The hacker boy threw a fit suited to a three-year-old when they declared they were going to use his room for afternoon tea, but after bringing in reinforcements, the writhing junior was evacuated from the premises and the Heirs were left in peace.

"Who do you think would win?" Raphe, the youngest among the four Florence Heirs, asked as he poured himself a cup of coffee.

"Wouldn't it be nice if the underdog won?" Zack, the eldest, answered as he raised his cup to his mouth.

"It would, wouldn't it?" Cardor mused, placing his cup back on the table.

"What do you think?" Raphe asked his sister, taking the seat next to Cardor.

"Do I hear a bet resounding among us?" Michelle asked with sparkling eyes.

"What would we bet?" Cardor asked back.

"I hear there's this nice ballerina thingy by the end of the week." Raphe mused. "How's about loser pays for the other three's tickets?"

"In that case, I bet on the girl." Zack answered straightforwardly.

"The girl as well." Cardor betted.

"I go for the guy." Raphe stated.

The brothers looked at their sister, who was meticulously sipping her cup, taking as long as possible.

"Well?" Zack asked, impatient.

"Hm..." Michelle placed her cup back on its saucer. "I bet on..."