Chap. 15: Cafe Work

CAFE WORK...

Emma, though he found it hard to believe despite everything he's heard, was denser than rock.

Aaron stood back as he studied the class clowns working, with the other waiters, she looked like a ballerina in sync with the rest of choreography, entertaining the audience, working together with her coworkers. He sighed. Speaking of coworkers, there were two aliens in the mix with these professional dancers.

Oliver, through coaxing and a little begging he guessed, got a temp job as waiter to survey Emma. The other alien was Eliot Wander was a sore thumb sticking out from a pool of paint. People usually exaggerate his height, but he was definitely tall. More than once had he been scouted to play height-preferred sports, but the giant would always turn them down despite his financial troubles that only few know about. He was, after all, a street artist through and through.

Aaron internally laughed the next second. If Emma and the rest of the experienced waiters were like a choreographed Swan Lake, Oliver and Eli were country dancers out of place.

"Samder." It was the manager of the place. Aaron knew him by his acquaintanceship with the eldest Heir: Zack Fluorescent. "I told you to get orders, not flirt an entire half-hour away. We're packed today!"

Oliver looked contrite. "I can't help it." He defended. "They started it."

"I don't care." Aiden was trying to look strict and was half-passing. "I'll have to move you to clean up duty. Bust some tables, cupid." With that, he turned and immediately went over to the newest recruit yet. "Wander! I told you to mop the tiles, not open a floodgate!"

No one but Emma and Aaron noticed his brow twitch when Aiden used the word 'cupid'.

And so it was said, so it had to be done. Oliver kept his pen and notepad away and went back to the kitchen. A minute or so later, he came out with a basin wide enough to be filled with plates, cups, and the gunk people leave behind after eating a cake or drinking coffee. Aaron got bored then, and decided to study Emma instead.

Their eyes met at the exact same time, Emma's a glare and his of boredom. Much to the class clown's annoyance, the clubber broke eye contact first.

She was way too easy, did she know that? Obviously she doesn't, Aaron decided. When will she realize, he wondered, that she should just stop trying to make friends with him? He only interacted with her because of her association to Oliver. And he only interacted with him because they were assigned to be partners until graduation. He sighed, losing a little bit of dull happiness from his soul. If only his life could be a party 24/7. Alas, no one can have everything.

"Can I take your order?"

He looked up to see the waitress standing beside his table, a notepad and pen at the ready to write down whatever he would say. He gave her a once-over. Braiding one's hair seemed to be a fad this semester, but this girl had a cuteness that made her style her own. She wasn't necessarily, beautiful, definitely not his type, but she was definitely easy on the eyes. He looked at her nametag over her apron, and her surname made him inwardly wince.

Towers...

He smiled. "Decaf."

She smiled back. "It'll be ready in a minute."

And with that, she left, most probably to take another table's orders.

Aaron sighed. Towers. The only Towers he knew of was a senior, and if he knew any better, he'd stay away from any possible relations of the guy. He was a heartthrob at the senior department, and if first impressions last well, Aaron deduced the guy was the protective type toward any female relation.