Chap. 39: Coffee

COFFEE...

Fluorescent Café was well-known for its sleek furnishings and avant-garde coffee recipes. It was one of the novelties of the Social Studies Department that began as a psychology project that grew into a full-time job. The original owner was now an alumna that sold the espresso bar to a certain Heiress that had a penchant for anything that contained caffeine or cocoa beans or preferably both.

As Aaron read the abridged history lesson at the back of the menu of said café, a certain thought flashed in his mind.

Shadowing Kat Cho was as fun as watching paint dry. Actually, no. If you watch paint dry, you're allowed to fall asleep ten seconds in. In Aaron's line of duty, he wasn't allowed so much as leave her out of his sight for a nanosecond. He found this as fact when he realized that reading Fluorescent Café's abridged history at the back of the menu was more fun than shadowing her. And sure enough, his classmates were beginning to notice his frustration.

"You pick an interest in the walls?" Asked Delicia, a girl with Latin-American colors, wearing the school's official red varsity jacket over her cheerleader's uniform.

Aaron still had his eyes on Kat, who did, in fact, sat by the walls, which were the same shade as her mild beige sweater. He took a sip from his espresso before he said, "Look closer."

Delicia did, squinting, then cocked a brow before turning back to him. "A wallflower huh? Never thought that was your type."

He snorted, something he couldn't believe other people thought was attractive about him. "Seriously? A wallflower being my type is the first thing that pops in your head when I point to a girl sitting alone in a crowded coffee shop?"

Delicia shrugged, taking a bite at a special parfait that had caramel coffee mixed somewhere inside it. "You never know. Honestly, I thought you and Oliver were a thing."

He almost spat his coffee right then and there, which would have resulted in spittle mixed coffee splattering the cheerleader's make-up perfect face. Good thing he was still a controlled person, unlike how some people gave him credit for, and swallowed first before he leaned across the spherical table and shot Delicia a smile spectators would describe as devilish. "You into yaoi there, cheerleader?"

Delicia slapped the air between them that once contained his face before he just as quickly retreated. He chuckled playfully, even though he knew she was faking the aim for his face. "Shut up prep." She said rather coldly, and he wondered if she really did miss him on purpose or not.

He frowned. "I told you once and I'm telling you again. I ain't no prep. I'm a clubber. Big difference."

Delicia arched a perfectly trimmed eyebrow. "In what way? By partying late into the night in a slightly more illegal fashion? Preps party hard too, FYI, but in a more respectable manner known as age-appropriate."

He shrugged. "Clubs in this city aren't as easy to get into, for your information. You gotta have connections in the nightlife to do anything illegal, especially at my age." A grin accompanied the next statement. "Every prep's a pussy 'til they try the nightclubs."

Delicia squinted her eyes at him. "Did you seriously just say the word 'pussy'? Are you sure you attend DDA? Are your papers legit?"

He had a dozen and more retorts to give to that certain question, many of which had been practiced on Oliver, but his comeback didn't come when a voice called for their attention a table away.

"Aaron! Delightful! So good to see you two in one table with a coincidentally free chair!"

Delicia groaned at the mention of her full name, which Aaron gladly chuckled more over.