Chap. 48: Difference Of Back Then From Now

DIFFERENCE OF BACK THEN FROM NOW...

He stood over the limp body, his breathing hoarse and eyes in a state of stagnant fury. Her breathing had been heavy from running then, like it was now; the fear and anxiety and hysteria familiar as well, but the difference from back then was that she had run to stop her friend from hurting someone else. This time, she ran to stop someone else from hurting her friend.

"Oliver..." Emma called, the vision blurring.

He turned around, the vision continuing to disappear like a smudge of paint. His sapphire eyes were the last to go, those blue flames forever etched into her brain.

Oliver looked back, pulling his best façade that said "everything will be all right".

She sniffed, tears streaming down her face. Her expression yelled "don't go".

He turned around, and ran.

She screamed his name.

Kat felt slender fingers coil around her neck.

Sicily went down cackling.

...

"Hey..."

"What?"

"When's your birthday?"

"August 30. You?"

"Huh. I never thought I'd be older than you. Mine's on the 24th. Same month, and probably the same year."

"Wow. So you're older, huh."

"I'm not that old! Only by a week at least!"

"Still. You're older. Why does that shock me so much?"

"Why you... Do I really act that childish?"

"Is that a question I could answer without you getting mad at me?"

"Try me."

"Never mind. Change subject. You're birthday's coming up sooner than mine. Want me to get you anything?"

"Isn't this supposed to be one of those situations where you just keep the information and surprise the person on the actual day?"

"Is it?"

"I think."

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind next year. For now, anything you want. Name it."

"Why do I feel like you really can get me anything I ask for, no matter how preposterous?"

"What makes you think that?"

"A hunch."

"Coach always did tell me to trust my gut. You're probably right though. I might be able to get you most things. If it's a simple request, I can probably do it."

"..."

"What?"

"I really feel like I should know more about you than just from school."

"Oh. You never noticed?"

"What?"

"We're neighbors."

"...huh?"

She opened her eyes to a familiar air of chaos. The instinctive recognition made her motionless, her body reeling from earlier stress. A small part of her mind told her to calm down despite the fact that she knew what would happen next. The aftershock would surely come.