Chap. 53: Oh God

OH GOD...

The water trickled through the rocks like the steps of schoolchildren running through the zoo. The wind blew the grass in a tranquil dance that made the blades scratch each other like paper flying in the wind from a flagpole. The sunset was an array of warm red and orange and gold transitioning to blue and purple and black from the mountainous horizon. The stars would be out soon, and so would they.

He was knocked out, yet peaceful in his sleep.

She leaned over, placing a displace lock of hair back into place, then smiled at her own thought.

Then he flinched, and her smile warmed at the vision of his beautiful hazy blues. The love of her life, about to go on a date with her, and she couldn't contain her excitement for much longer.

The first that registered into Oliver's sight was her silhouette, and after going through the torment of hell for her and back in almost one piece, he glared. The love of his life, about to go on a date with him, and he couldn't contain his annoyance for much longer.

She was about to tell him how much fun she planned for them to have.

"What the hell is WRONG with you!?" He bellowed, his glare felt like it could freeze fire.

She blinked. "Huh?"

"You make me go crazy by giving up your classes for the whole day, then I found out that you were actually in school the whole time! And when I finally calmed down and decided not to worry, Aaron and Kat come along and knock me out cold! Damn that guy and that iron fist of his! One day I'll get him back tenfold for that! Fuck, my head hurts! How hard did he hit me!?"

Emma remembered Aaron's boastful aura when he brought Oliver along earlier, like he finally released a great burden from his shoulders. "He must've been holding back for a long time now..." She whispered off-handedly.

"I bet." Oliver agreed nonchalantly.

Silence, then, out of lack for anything else to say, Emma said, "Remembered when we took our very first Classpect quizzes?"

His brows furrowed. "Yeah, why?"

"Well, um. I was a Sylph of Life the first time I took it, right? And you were a Knight of Heart. It was just something fun we kept in mind every other time, but a few years later, our results were superbly different! Haha. I suddenly turned into Prince of Doom, and you became a Mage of Light. Then the inversion theory came out and mine made sense but your drastic change of Classpect still didn't. As a heartthrob it was puntastical that you were a Heart player, but then you were suddenly a mage of light, and we joked that it was your tendency to want to be the most important and... Hehehe."

"Em, you okay there, bud?" He asked out of concern.

She flinched, then recoiled. God, how awkward can a person get!?She wanted the ground to swallow her then and there! Or better yet, had the wind carry her away to a place where she didn't have to act so weird around her own childhood friend!

The crickets started singing their songs, and a breeze blew pass, ruffling their clothes and hair.

When Emma opened her eyes, he was staring right at her, and though she blushed, she didn't look away. The memory of that afternoon dancing a quickstep at the back of her mind.

While she was hiding in the staff room as Oliver talked to Michelle and the others, she was rendered speechless at his every word. Even when Aaron and Kat knocked on the door that it was OK for her to come out, she didn't move in that fetal position of her for a longer time than necessary, her back merging with the door. Frozen and out of breath, her heart pounding like a drumroll.

At least she calmed down now... but still. His staring was helping none.

"W-what's wrong with you?" She asked, trying to look annoyed and failing.

She wore the Virgo shirt he bought for her a few years back. How could he not stare once he noticed? OK, so she wore that orange blazer over it and a thick, long scarf around her neck. So what? The jade print over the black shirt was too familiar to not notice.

He blinked, then looked away, and that was when he noticed something else. Under his knitted scarf and red blazer, was the same black shirt. He blinked again, pulling at the shirt to be sure. Is it really...? It really is. They wore their Virgo shirts. They looked like a couple. Oh God, he could die happy now.

Emma blinked. "Oli, you're blushing."

He looked up at him, hands still crumpling his precious shirt. "I..." He blinked. Then smiled. "I'm just. Really happy!"

She blushed, then had to look away. Oh God, she could die happy now. An angel was already there in front of her. Something... She had to do something! Change atmospheres!

"All right-y!" She stood dusting her pants even though they sat on a wide enough blanket. "Shall we go? I've got the whole night planned out for us! Good thing you got your beauty sleep, 'cause I ain't letting you sleep anymore anytime soon!" She pointed at him, her other hand on her hip. "So be ready!"

He looked up at her, his hands flattening the creases on his shirt. His smile was teasing. "That sounded like innuendo, Em." He stood, towering over her and not minding the attempted punch he easily dodged. He laughed when he looked around, and only then did he realize that they weren't where he thought they were. "Where are we?"

She grinned. "We're in front of the Café. The Prep Hangout faces west, so the back is surprisingly a good spot to view a sunset. I only realized it a couple weeks ago when I worked overtime. The place is deserted by this time around, so it's nice and private." She caught her words. "I-I mean, it's not that I'm still embarrassed about us, it's just that I came to realize that I really like spending time with you alone so just-Oh God, how embarrassing could I get? What have I been saying? Sorry, I-huh?"

He was staring into space, his eyes distant.

"Oliver?" She asked, poking his cheek with her finger.

He looked back at her, as though awoken. Then smiled. "Sorry. I must have been dreaming earlier. I thought we were at Troffer's Brook."

She blinked, retreating her finger casually, then looked away. "Jeez. Kat's the Seer, not you. Stop looking into the future like that." was what she wanted to say. Instead, she said with a grin: "You didn't think Aaron carried you too far away, did you?"

He grinned. "Yeah, now that would be a weird dream." He placed his hands on his hips as he stepped out of the blanket. "So! Where to first?"

She smiled, picking up the blanket and folding it neatly. "I won't tell you, but I bet you could figure it out on your own. Sorry I won't blindfold you before we get to our destination like all those other clichés, but I believe that's a really dangerous thing to do. You have to be patient."

He studied her every movement, even when he nodded.

Her smile was heartwarming. Her blush was charming, her demeanor standing on a line between awkward and able. She was the love of his life, and he fell even deeper when he saw what she picked up lying on one of the decorative rocks.

"Well, I had to wear it sometime, right?" She asked, not meeting his gaze as she tugged on the straps of her polar bear hat.

Shit... He had to cover the smile pulling his lips and the red staining his face.

Oh God, how he loved this girl.