Chap. 01: Hat

HAT...

He told her he was dying.

Emma never bothered letting him finish his sentence. He told him to keep his shirt on and that she was on her way with his happy medicine. She never heard his reply, because she ended the conversation then and there, made a grab for her favorite blazer, propped her glasses for style, and ran out the house, paper bag in hand.

"Sis!" She heard her younger sister's voice call out, but Emma didn't look back and kept on walking. Most probably be nothing. "Send Yvette my regards."

Emma turned around to give her sister a cocked brow. "Wha?"

Lucy, her younger sister, was leaning out of the second-floor window of her room. "I said send Yvette my regards."

"Why!?" Emma called back, too lazy to go back so that they could talk more conveniently even though she was only a few meters away from her house.

Lucy gave her older sister her usual blank expression. "Because you're coming over. And heaven knows how much that girl always ends up at her wits' end whenever you and her brother get together."

"I take offence to that!" She soullessly shot.

Lucy shrugged. "Just give her my regards, would you?"

Emma shrugged. "Yeah, sure. Whatevs."

She made her way down the block again, ignoring her younger sister's heavy sigh, and walked up the steps of the neighboring house. She reached the doorstep, knocked thoughtfully, and waited for the usual reply.

"Coming!" A sing-song voice called out.

No sooner was the word said did the door open for Emma to see an elfin young girl with a head of short blond curls, her shapely body befitting her petite stature.

Yvette met her with a smile of greeting, then a pout of recognition.

Emma grinned. "Yo. Yvette."

Yvette sighed. "Welcome. He's in his room." She stepped aside to let her in, and Emma entered as though it were her own home, which was somewhat true.

"Parents out to sea again?" Emma inquired as small talk.

"As if you don't know already." Yvette answered in spite. "You're parents are on the same boat, and I'm sure bro's been keeping you in the loop more times than he should anyway." She pouted.

Emma smirked teasingly. "Yeah. And he's been telling me a lot about you too."

Yvette looked surprised, with a hint happiness. "He does?"

Emma giggled once, and that was all she needed to push a button. Yvette immediately flushed, pouted, marched out of the living room, and up the stairs. Emma heard the faint sound of a door slamming, indicating Yvette's usual actions after Emma would tease her, and as usual whenever Emma would win in teasing the ninth grader, a grin would line her lips.

As well as following the same routine whenever Yvette would be the one to welcome her into their home, footsteps would come rushing down after the door slammed shut and out the top of the steps appeared the familiar sight of her dear, sweet, platonic moirail.

She glared. "I told you to keep your shirt on, darn it."

Oliver looked down at himself, hard, chiseled abs and all, then shrugged. "You've already seen me naked more than once before," He grinned. "So I don't see why you're still embarrassed whenever you see me topless."

Emma blushed with a glare. "Shut up you and put a shirt on." She ordered.

"And if I don't?" Oliver cocked a brow, his hands on his hips, making his abdominal muscles all the more profound.