The Voicemail

"Hey, it's Billie." She lets out a small, sad laugh. "I've missed you. Are you doing well? I hope you are. I'm sorry for how I treated you the last time I saw you. I miss you so much. I was hoping we could talk over coffee. I know things didn't really end well and I'm so sorry. But I really hope we can talk. Bye Dakota, I love you."

The voicemail ends, my heart throbbing. I want to call her back, but I'm scared she'll do it all again. So, I ignore the voicemail, sighing as I put my phone away.

The next few weeks flyby like a blur, nothing really having any meaning. And I miss my Billie so fucking much.

So, I decide to call her, trying to see if her offer is still open. 

"Hello?" She answers, a small smile forming on my face. "Hey, Billie," I say softly, running my hand through my hair. "I missed you."

"I missed you too mama." I blush at the pet name, my stomach fluttering. "Why'd you call?"

"Wanted to see if you're still open to getting coffee." I say softly, leaning into my seat.

"Of course it is. It will always be open for you." I hear, my heart melting at her words. "I love you, Dakota. I always will."

"I love you, too, Billie." I pause, listening to her sigh. It almost sounded like she was relieved. "How about we meet for coffee Friday?" I ask, smiling ear to ear. "Definitely."

The call ends after another thirty minutes. The conversation a quick catch up. And I swear more than ten "I love you"s left her mouth. 

Friday came terribly slow. But when it finally came, I was ready an hour early. As I go to call her, an unknown ID quickly calls my phone. 

Stricken with curiosity, I answer the call and put the phone to me ear. "Hello?" I ask, something in my gut churning. Something I'm dreading. I feel scared. 

I don't know why. 

"Uh, is this Dakota Smith?" I hear someone ask, making me nod. "Yeah. Yes. Who's this?" 

"Um, I'm officer Swatts. I'm calling about a Billie O'Connell. Did you know her?" The man asks, making my heart stop. "Yes, is she okay?"

"I'm sorry Ms. Smith, Ms. O'Connell was found dead in a car accident. I'm sorry for your loss."