Chapter 46: The Plan

"Where is everyone, Baba? Why aren't they here for lunch?" Keth inquired as he looked at the empty seats.

"They went to Jaiswal house to congratulate Chandni for her upcoming wedding," Trilochan informed as Mala and Chameli served them food.

Batuk was eating quietly.

"How is everything going in your college, Batuk?" Keth inquired, finding his brother awfully silent.

"Good," he replied curtly as Mala and Chameli also sat to eat.

"Why didn't you accompany Anirudh and Bondita?" Keth was finding it a bit suspicious that Batuk chose to stay home. He was the one who would run behind Bondita and Anirudh all the time. In fact, Som went there instead and it was hard to digest for Keth. Som was the type to stay home and study.

"I didn't feel like going out," Batuk mumbled.

Keth arched an eyebrow. "You didn't feel like going out? That isn't right. Something is going on. Tell me what's happening."

"Nothing," Batuk started to get annoyed at Keth's nagging.

"Stop lying, Batuk. Tell me the truth," he insisted.

"Suniye, let hi—" Chameli's words dried in her mouth the moment Keth glared at her, for interfering in his matter.

"Keth, beta, stop pestering Batuk. He wanted to stay home and finish a sculpture," Trilochan defended Batuk, which made Keth quiet. He nodded and continued eating.

Where did Anirudh Babu go with that Bondita? Did they go to work on the polygamy annulment thing? Mala wondered and clenched her fist in anger.

Meanwhile, Anirudh was driving the car, talking to Bondita and Som.

"I will confirm her admission to a famous college in Calcutta and fix a girls' hostel by tomorrow noon," Anirudh announced and Bondita nodded.

"Will it be possible within such a short period of time?" Som inquired curiously.

"Yes, Patibabu has some connection there and besides, Sasurji is also there to help. Right, Patibabu?"

Anirudh hummed in response.

"So after her admission gets confirmed, we have to help her elope tomorrow at night?" Som asked again.

"Night will be perfect. Because everyone will be asleep," Anirudh uttered.

"Great! I will help Chandni get out of the house," Bondita said enthusiastically. "It's going to be so much fun!"

"Wah, Bondita, bol toh aise rahi ho ki hum Chandni ko bhagane nahi, kulfi khilane le ja rahe hai," Anirudh said sarcastically, narrowing his eyes in her direction.

Bondita's mouth watered instantly at the mention of kulfi. It's been so long she didn't have kulfi or roshogulla. She licked her lips, picturing the chashni of roshogulla landing on her lips.

"Stop dreaming about sweet items, Bondita," Anirudh's sharp voice brought her out of her trance.

She bit her lower lip, slightly embarrassed at getting caught.

Som looked at his boudi in amusement. She grew up but still remained a foodie. Once a foodie, always a foodie — this line perfectly fitted his boudi.

"So when do I help Chandni get out of her house?" Bondita asked finally, her focus fully on Anirudh.

"You won't," as long as Anirudh said that, her face fell.

"What do you mean by that?" she questioned him.

Anirudh sighed and looked at his beloved wife. "Bondita, helping Chandni to elope, settling her in Calcutta — all these will be done by me. You won't get involved here."

A frown appeared on her lips. "But why?"

"Because it's risky, Bondita. When Jaswant Kaka will see his daughter missing, he will know it's us and I don't want him to involve you. I will take the entire blame on me. So it's better that way because Jaswant Kaka saying a thousand words against me won't affect me, but a word against you will trigger me beyond your imagination," he explained sincerely.

Bondita felt happy at his concern, but at the same time, she wanted to be there for Chandni, seeing her one last time before she left for Calcutta.

"Patibabu, everyone will know I was somehow involved in this. You cannot change that. So isn't it better that I actually be a part of this?" she pointed out.

"They won't know," he answered firmly. "I will tell them it was all on me and everyone knows my 'fitoor' as per Kaka."

"But I—"

"Please, Bondita," he almost pleaded.

"Fine. As you say," Bondita finally agreed, making him heave a sigh in relief. "But you cannot always push me away from a situation because of the possibility that it might be dangerous. Dangers follow Barristers, you know that."

A small smile appeared on his lips. "I know, I cannot push you away from a situation, but I can always protect you from danger as much as I can. Dangers follow Barristers, but I am a husband too. I need to protect my adorable wife."

Bondita's heart fluttered with his declaration. She could never get tired of hearing this from him. His wife — she used to yearn to hear this from his mouth and now, he would chant it all the time if possible.

Som cleared his throat, letting his presence be known. "If you two are done flirting," he gazed at Anirudh, "I can help you with your plan, Dada, right?"

Anirudh twitched his lips, thinking for a while.

"Please, Dada, I want to meet Chandni," Som muttered under his breath, thinking no one heard, but in the silent car, the barrister couple heard him and chuckled.

"Fine, I won't be a 'pyaar ka dushmaan.' You can help, Som," Anirudh announced, making Som grin as wide as possible. "So the plan is, Som, you will get Chandni out of her house and I will be waiting outside in a car. Then we will bring Chandni to the railway station and take her to Calcutta. After she settles there, I will come back and talk to Jaswant Kaka. That's it."

"It's a perfect plan!" Bondita chirped.

"I can't wait for tomorrow," Som uttered. This time, he wanted to compliment Chandni's voice. He never got the chance to do so and when he did, it slipped off his mind. He would forget everything whenever he saw Chandni. But nobody could stop him tomorrow. 

A/N: Next update when there is at least 25 comments. Thank you! (Didn't write a longer chapter, instead I divided it into two parts.)