Chapter 32: The Wedding Day

"Bahu, Pandit Moor is asking for some things. Why are some items missing?" Trilochan asked Bondita.

"Boudi, my kurta's button broke. What will I wear now?" Batuk whined as he walked into the living room.

"Boudi, look, Bihari bumped into me with laddoos and now I have a stain on my kurta," Som complained to Bondita.

"Bondita, I can't seem to find anything at all!" Anirudh hollered as he got out of the bedroom, standing on the staircase now.

Bondita was running here and there. Today was the big day and being the only woman of the Roy Chawdhary haveli was really tiring during these occasions. Mainly because the Roy Chawdhary men would chew her brain out. They seemed to create more trouble for her during joyous occasions.

"Koyeli Didi, why didn't you give these things to Pandit Moor yet? Please go and give these." She handed a platter to Koyeli and went to Batuk.

"Give me your kurta. I will stitch the button." Then she turned to Som. "Give me your kurta too. I will remove the stain. Go and hurry."

Som rushed to change into something else while Batuk handed his kurta to her.

"Batuk, go and see what your dada is looking for and can't find," she instructed.

"Uffo, Boudi, Dada just can't seem to find you. He is looking for you. Isn't it obvious?" he teased.

Bondita glared at him and slightly pulled him by his ear. "Is this the time to joke? If you don't listen to me, I won't stitch your kurta's button. Nor will you get any sweets today."

Batuk's eyes widened in fear. "Sorry, sorry, Boudi. I will go and check what Dada is looking for."

Bondita left his ear and he ran upstairs.

"Bahu, did you go and check on Chameli Bahu?" Trilochan asked Bondita.

"I will go now, Kakasasurji," she responded as she started stitching the button of the kurta in her hand. "Did Keth Dada get ready?"

Keth returned a few hours ago.

"I went to check on him. He just started to get ready," Som replied instead, as he ran to them. "Here is my kurta, Boudi."

She took his kurta in her hand and handed him Batuk's one. "Give this one to Batuk."

"I will go and wash the stain. I will meet Chameli too on the way to my room," with that, Bondita went upstairs.

She went to her room, only to find everything messed up. She dramatically slapped her forehead. "Hey, Dugga Maa! What did you do, Patibabu?"

Anirudh was still looking for something here and there.

"Finally, you are here. I can't find anything!"

"I sent Batuk to help you out," she deadpanned as she went to the washroom to remove the stain of Som's kurta.

Anirudh followed her. "Exactly. You sent Batuk out of everyone. He was of no help so I sent him back."

Bondita shook her head with a sigh. "What can't you find?"

"My wallet, my watch, the hairbrush, my perfume — nothing."

"The hairbrush and your perfume is on the dressing table, Patibabu," she said as she finished removing the stain and got out of the washroom.

"But I can't seem to find it," he mumbled.

Bondita took a look at the dressing table. It was fully messed up. "Of course, how can you find it? You made a mess here."