Chapter 19: Wedding Date

Anirudh dropped Bondita at the RC haveli. He was about to go back but Bondita said, "Patibabu, can you stay?"

Anirudh arched an eyebrow. "I just said I would drop you home when it's time for Pandit Moor's arrival."

Bondita nodded and said, "I know but I have to return to court as well later. How will I go there alone?"

"You know how to drive, Bondita," he pointed out.

Realizing he wouldn't agree, she decided to do her usual drama. She dramatically slapped her forehead, saying, "Ohho Patibabu, if people in Tulsipur see me driving, they might even attack me. You know that. Besides, Kakasasurji won't support me either. It's not London."

"Does that mean you will never drive?"

"Only when it's an extreme emergency," she let out.

Anirudh twitched his lips and finally got out of the car. "Fine, if you say so."

Bondita smiled and the duo went inside.

Everyone was in the living room as Pandit Moor was sitting on one of the couches.

Bondita took his blessings and he blessed her.

"She is my bahu, my Anirudh's wife," Trilochan said proudly.

Pandit Moor said with a smile, "Yes, I met her before too. She was small then. But now she has grown a lot."

"Bahu, bring some snacks for him, go," Trilochan informed her.

Bondita nodded and rushed to the kitchen.

Keth, Batuk, and Som were already sitting so Anirudh sat as well, next to Batuk.

"Pandit Moor, please find a perfect bahu for my son, Keth," started Trilochan.

"So Keth beta, finally you agreed for marriage." Pandit Moor looked at him.

"Yes. I want to get married and even the girl is fixed. I want you to just find a perfect and closest date for the wedding," stated Keth, earning stares from everyone.

Pandit Moor's eyes widened. "Beta, you have a girl fixed? I thought I was called to find a perfect girl."

Trilochan glared at Keth. "What are you saying, Keth? You never mentioned a girl before!"

"Yes, Keth Dada," Anirudh turned to him. "You didn't say you liked someone."

"Who is it?" Batuk butted in.

"What happened?" Bondita asked as she brought a tray filled with snacks.

"Keth Dada likes someone, Boudi!" Batuk informed her.

Bondita instantly looked at him, awestruck. "What? Dada, who is it?"

"Zamindar Babu, you called me here to find a girl or to fix a date?" Pandit Moor inquired. "I am confused."

"I am sure there must have been some confusion," Trilochan tried to clarify. "Keth, Pandit Moor brought a lot of proposals. Let's see those."

"I am sorry, Baba, but I don't want to." Keth folded his hands in front of Pandit Moor. "I am sorry for the trouble, Pandit Moor. I want you to find the nearest auspicious date for the wedding."

"It's okay, beta. For you, this is not trouble, don't worry." Pandit Moor took out his stuff and said, "A week from now is the earliest auspicious date for a wedding. And the next one is in three months."

"Fine then. Thank you," Keth conversed as everyone was quiet.

Pandit Moor had some snacks and went away.

"What the hell just happened?" Anirudh finally spoke up. "Keth Dada?"

Keth shrugged. "I like a girl and I want to marry her."

"Why didn't you tell us that before?" Som questioned.

"I learned she likes me back today, just before Pandit Moor came."

"You should've informed us as soon as you could, Keth Dada. It was embarrassing," Bondita let out.

Trilochan, who was quiet and in shock the entire time, finally tightened his grip on the stick and stood up. "Keth, who is the girl?"

Keth walked to him and said, "Baba, the girl is Chameli. I love her and this is the first time I felt something for a girl in a romantic sense."

A gasp escaped Bondita's lips. "Chameli? Is that why you agreed to get married?"

Keth nodded. "She is the reason I agreed, Bondita. I love Chameli."

Anirudh let out a humorless chuckle. "Bondita, you were worrying about my brothers' safety due to Mala, weren't you?"

Bondita became speechless. She knew he was taunting her, but she was angry at Chameli. How could she do that behind her back, without telling her anything about it?

Without wasting a second, Bondita rushed upstairs to Chameli's room.

"Bahu's friend? Impossible!" Trilochan spoke up sternly. "Keth, I cannot accept this. You will marry the girl of my choice."

"Why, Baba? Anirudh, explain it to him." Keth walked to Anirudh. "This is the first time I actually felt that I want to get married, only due to her, Anirudh. I really love her."

"You are so religious like me, then how can you do love marriage?" Trilochan's voice got a bit loud.

"Kaka, love can happen anywhere, anytime," Anirudh chose to support his brother. "What's wrong with that?"

"Dada," Batuk slowly whispered to Anirudh during the fiasco. "Do you love Boudi?"

Anirudh threw a sharp glare at him.

Som pulled Batuk back. "Batuk, this is not the time to ask this question."

"What's wrong?" Trilochan stomped the stick. "Anirudh, I won't accept this at any cost!"

"Fine, then I won't ever get married!" Keth hollered.

"Fine!" Trilochan hollered back and marched to his room, leaving the RC brothers in the living room.

Anirudh placed a hand on Keth's shoulder. "Don't say that, Dada. Kaka will agree. Just give him some time."

"But how and when did this all happen, Dada?" Batuk asked curiously.

Anirudh walked to him and twisted his ear.

"Ow, Dada!" Batuk winced in pain. "Boudi, help!"

Anirudh left Batuk's ear.

"You should know when to keep your mouth shut. Next time, if I see you speaking where you aren't supposed to, even your Boudi won't be able to save you," Anirudh warned as Batuk rubbed his ear.

###

Bondita rushed to Chameli's room.

"Chameli, what is this?"

Chameli was sitting nervously on her bed. The moment she saw Bondita, she got up.

"Bondita, let me explain."

Bondita shook her head in disappointment. "Why didn't you tell me about this?"

Chameli's eyes started getting watery. "I was scared."

"And now everyone knows about it, Chameli. If you have told me before, I could've a response ready. I could've chosen your side. But I knew nothing about it. This is what you give me after I have done so much for you?" Bondita spat out.

Chameli approached her and held her hand, crying. "No, Bondita. I really love Keth Babu. I was scared but he compelled me to give a reply."

"Compelled you? He didn't compel you to say yes, did he?" Bondita furrowed her brows in confusion.

"No, no. I replied what I had in my heart." Chameli looked at her with hope. "You will support this love, won't you, Bondita?"

Bondita sighed. "Chameli, I am sorry, but I can't, not until you tell everything to Keth Dada."

Chameli's tears dried up as she gulped in fear. "Tell...what?"

"Your past."