Chapter 21: A Curse

"Bondita, you won't do the puja today. Somehow make Chameli do the puja," Anirudh's words roamed in her mind when Bondita took the veneration platter in her hand.

Since everyone was there, waiting for Bondita to start, she dramatically placed a hand on her forehead and pretended to almost lose consciousness.

Anirudh instantly held her, preventing her from falling, while Chameli grabbed the platter from her hand.

"Bondita, are you okay?" Anirudh asked with concern.

Bondita just nodded. "I...don't know why... I felt weak all of a sudden and started seeing everything dark." She stood up and turned to Trilochan. "I am sorry, Kakasasurji. I caused a bad omen..."

Batuk was smart enough to catch the drama so he added, "Oh, Boudi, don't worry. Luckily, Chameli Didi took the platter in her hand so there wasn't any bad omen."

"You shouldn't worry about that, Bondita. I told you not to stress much. Maybe it's due to us working last night on the case instead of you taking a rest and—" Anirudh stopped talking when Bondita pinched his arm slightly.

"It's an act," she muttered and only he could hear it.

Anirudh heaved a sigh in relief, but Trilochan was still worried.

"It's okay, Bahu. You take a rest."

"But what about the puja, Kakasasurji?" Bondita asked innocently and gazed at Chameli. "Chameli, you can perform the puja!"

Chameli's eyes widened in surprise. "Me?"

"Yes, you. You remember, even in London, we used to perform puja together," she reminded Chameli, who hesitantly gazed at Keth.

Keth gave her a reassuring nod and said, "Yes, since she saved us from a bad omen, she can perform the puja too."

"But—" Trilochan was interrupted by Anirudh.

"Kaka, everyone has a right to do the puja if they want to if I am not wrong. So if Chameli wants to perform the puja, we shouldn't stop her." He further added, "Besides, Bondita cannot stand much longer. What if she faints? Let's be done with this as soon as possible."

Trilochan nodded, even though he was unsure. But the moment Chameli started performing the puja, a small smile formed on Trilochan's lips, as she indeed knew how to do everything.

The RC brothers and Bondita noticed that, feeling happy.

"In this way, we can get Kakasasurji's approval, by proving Chameli is a grihlaxmi," Bondita mumbled.

"Yes. But Bondita, you should've informed me it was an act. I was worried."

"Uffo, Patibabu, I didn't have the time to inform anyone. It was sudden. Luckily, Batuk was smart enough."

Batuk's chest filled with pride at the compliment.

"Dada is also smart, Boudi," Som chimed in. "He just loses all senses when it comes to you."

Bondita blushed at that while Anirudh averted his gaze.

Keth cleared his throat and whispered, "Thank you, Bondita and Anirudh, for doing this. I will love Chameli a lot, shotti." He pinched his throat like Bondita.

###

Bondita and Anirudh were in the court.

All of a sudden, a woman burst in. "Barrister Babu!" The woman was crying as the guards behind her tried to pull her away.

"Leave her," Anirudh instructed and the guards got out of the room.

Bondita made the woman sit on the chair and gave her a glass of water, but the woman shoved her hand away.

"Barrister Babu, what about my case?" she asked.

Anirudh lowered his head. "I am sorry, but there is no use filing this because there is no such law. If he abuses you or you want to file a divorce, then I can help."

Bondita understood she was that first wife from that case.

The woman gasped. "What do you mean 'no use'? No such law?" The woman got up. "Barrister Babu, then you should create a law! You created one against child marriage. Then why not create one against multiple marriages?"

"It's not so easy. It's gonna take a lot of time and it will be tough to gain approval. You need to have patience, Ma'am," he said politely and folded his hands in front of her in guilt.

The woman shook her head miserably and walked to Bondita. She grabbed Bondita by her shoulders. "You do something! You are a woman. You went to London and got a degree to bring justice, right? Then bring justice to me. Please." She was crying a lot and Bondita's eyes got watery as well seeing her pain.

"You have a husband. Can you share your husband with anyone, Malkin?" When Bondita silently cried and watched her, she shook her again. "Answer me."

Bondita glanced at Anirudh and shook her head in denial. "But I understand your pain, Ma'am."

The woman freed her and let out a humorless chuckle. "No, you don't. You won't understand my pain until you go through it personally. And today, I pray that may God let you feel my pain, Malkin."

Bondita's eyes widened in fear and Anirudh immediately stood next to her, placing a hand over her shoulder and pulling her close to him. "I will never do that to Bondita," Anirudh spat out.

The woman laughed hysterically. "That's what he said too, Barrister Babu and I believed him. Look, where I am now." With that, she left the office.

Bondita trembled in fear as more tears slid through her eyes. "Patibabu, she just cursed us..."

Anirudh wiped her tears and pulled her into a tight hug. "No, Bondita. Have faith in your Dugga Maa and your patibabu. I would rather die than let you suffer like that woman."

She was disturbed by the curse while Anirudh kept caressing her back. He kissed her head and hugged her tighter—as if he wasn't already.

A/N: Hello! I am not demanding votes. I just want you guys to comment and be a part of the story. So please comment and enjoy!