Chapter 28: First Step Toward...

"Bahu!" Trilochan called out as he got home with Bihari.

"Ji, Kakasasurji!" Bondita responded and immediately dashed out of the kitchen.

"Look, Bahu, I brought the saree-wala with us. You and Chameli Bahu can choose your sarees for all the functions," he said with a smile and turned to the saree-wala. "Show only the good quality and expensive sarees. With one glance, everyone should know they are Roy Chawdharys."

The saree-wala nodded and sat down.

"Koyeli, go and call Chameli," Trilochan instructed.

Koyeli was about to go but Bondita stopped her. "No, no, Koyeli Didi, I will go and call Chameli. You go to the kitchen and see whether the dinner is ready or not."

Koyeli nodded and went to the kitchen with Bihari while Bondita walked upstairs.

As she was walking through the hallway, all of a sudden, someone grabbed her hand. She didn't try to wriggle free from the grip because she was familiar with the touch. However, she didn't turn to face the person.

"Bondita..." Anirudh spoke up softly. "I am so sor—" he was cut off by Bondita, who finally turned to face him.

"Enough, Barrister Babu!" Anirudh felt a sharp sting in his heart hearing 'Barrister Babu' from her. It was his title but for her, it was 'Pati Babu.' Even calling him 'Anirudh' would be okay but not 'Barrister Babu'.

"I don't want to hear anything from you. You cannot just say mean things to me and then apologize," she said sharply.

"But at least let me apologize. You don't have to forgive me instantly," he tried to explain but she shook her head. She knew she was soft-hearted and with one apology from him, she would forgive him in a blink of an eye. So she didn't want to hear his apology. She had to make him suffer a bit.

"I have to go and call Chameli. So don't waste my time." This time she tried to wriggle free from his grip only to hear him wince a bit.

Bondita's eyes widened as Anirudh hid his hand behind.

"What was that?" she asked sternly.

"Nothing," he said with a smile that didn't reach his eyes.

Sensing something, she placed her hands on her hips and glared at Anirudh. "I will ask this for the first and last time. Did you injure yourself?"

He gulped. "In my defense, I was banging my hand slowly on the table."

"Show me your hand," this time, she ordered.

Knowing he had no choice, he forwarded his hand.

Bondita took a look. His hand had some bruises and it was swollen.

Her eyes got watery in that instant. No wonder what happens, she could never see him in pain. And that's what he always did—hurting himself—whether it's physically or mentally.

"Why do you always do that? Why?" her voice broke at the end.

Anirudh felt his heart clench. "Bondita, it's not hurting. I—"

"Oh, so you lie as well?" she taunted him, as he lowered his gaze.

"Bondita... I am sorry. Really. I just... it was hard for me to control my anger when you weren't around so it's gonna take time." He pinched his throat and said, "Shotti. I had no intention to upset you and I know the way I dealt with the situation was wrong. I am trying to make it up to you guys. I apologized to Batuk and brought a form for him for Arts College."

"You did?" Bondita mumbled.

"Yes. And now, I want to apologize to my wife." This time, Anirudh held his ears cutely. "I am sorry, Bondita."

She crossed her arms against her chest and puffed her cheeks. "Is this how you apologize to your wife?"

Anirudh arched an eyebrow in amusement. He knew what she meant but he decided to play with her. "Oh, so you want me to do sit-ups?" He was about to do sit-ups but Bondita stomped her feet in anger.

"Patibabu!" she whined, earning a chuckle from Anirudh.

He left his ears and grabbed her by her waist, pulling her closer to him. "You know your patibabu is a bit short-tempered."

"A bit?"

"Well, a lot," he corrected as he pulled a few strands of her hair behind her ear with a subtle smile. "But he will work on it. He cannot tolerate if his Bondita is angry with him. Nor can he see his Bondita in pain."

"I cannot see you in pain either. Seeing you in pain hurts me the most. So please stop hurting yourself," she requested as Anirudh caressed her cheek with his other hand.

"I will try not to," he muttered as his eyes fell on her lips. "Do you mind if I..."

He looked back up to meet her gaze, and the anticipating look in her eyes was all the permission he needed. She clutched the end of her saree, unable to utter anything at the closeness. Her heart was hammering in her chest and so was his.

Getting her permission made him take the bold step finally. With gentle care, he pressed his soft lips against hers, a tender exchange that spoke volumes without a single word.

Before their kiss could intensify, sudden realization hit Bondita—they were in the hallway!

She pulled herself apart from Anirudh, whose face was as red as Bondita's.

"I... we are in the hallway..." Bondita stuttered. "I...have to call... Chameli," with that, she ran to Chameli's room.

"Bondita, careful!" he reminded her as she ran away from him.

After she was out of his vision, Anirudh just rubbed the back of his head as a wide grin appeared on his face. He had his first kiss—that too with his Bondita! He was on cloud nine.

On the other hand, Bondita was outside of Chameli's room as she covered her face with her hands, feeling shy.

"We just... kissed..." she was mumbling until something struck her mind. "We took the first step toward... physical intimacy... so it means that the next step is... Hey Dugga Maa! How will I go to the bedroom at night?" 

A/N: Next chapter update when there's at least 15 comments.  

P.S: I need to know how's the story going so far. I am trying to make the chapters a bit longer too than usual!