Chapter 42: Meeting Chandni Again?

Somnath was in the park near his college as it was his break time. He needed a peaceful environment to study and his college was certainly anything but peaceful. It was a chaotic place!

He was sitting on a bench, fully engrossed in his book.

"I swear, these exams are annoying. I want them to end," a girl mumbled as she sat at the bench, not seeing Som as she was facing the other side. "On a second thought, I don't want them to end," her voice faltered, "Baba and Maa will marry me off."

Som's ears pricked at that. He removed his gaze from his book and turned to see the girl sitting next to him. His breath hitched seeing her — it was Chandni in school dress.

"Chandni...?" Som managed to let out.

Chandni instantly turned her head in his direction. Realizing that she was sitting next to a man, she got up at that moment as her hands flew to her mouth. "I am so sorry. I didn't notice someone sitting here."

"Chandni, it's okay," Som tried to calm her down as he also got up.

Chandni shook her head. "No, it's not. If Maa and Baba find out I was sitting next to an unknown man, they won't even wait till I am done with the exams."

Som felt a sting in his heart hearing that. How could he forget to pass Chandni's message to Bondita? He wanted to inform Bondita many times, but with the situation in his house, he didn't find the right time.

"Wait a minute. How do you know my name?" she asked suddenly as she scanned Som's face, trying to remember him.

Som chortled at her actions. "We met before. Did you forget so fast?"

"Hey, don't point a finger on my memory. This head has to remember so much bookish information so it's obvious to forget some faces," she defended herself.

A frown appeared on Som's face. Was his face so common that she forgot him? However, even if she did, Som could remind her, right? He tried to be optimistic.

"We met here too for the first time. You were singing and then I bumped into you..." by accident, he wished to add, mentally cursing Batuk for pushing him that day. "And then by hearing 'shotti' from me, you realized that I was related to Bondita Roy Chawdhary. She is my boudi, by the way."

Chandni processed his words and her lips curved into an 'o'. "Oh, yes, now I remember. Bondita Didi's devar! How are you?"

He gave her a small smile, happy that she finally recognized. "I am great. What about you?"

Her face fell at that question. "I... you know it. Did you pass my message to Bondita Didi?"

Immediate guilt flushed on Som's face as he shook his head in denial. "I am sorry. There were so many things going on in our family that amidst all that, it totally slipped off my mind. But I promise, today, the first thing I do when I get home is tell Boudi about your situation."

Chandni gave him a sad smile. "It's okay. I understand."

"When will your exams end?" Som inquired.

"The day after tomorrow," she responded. "And it's also my wedding day."

"Do you want this marriage?" His words made her silent.

Som noticed how her light-brown eyes started getting watery. He knew by that she didn't want this.

"What do you want then?" he asked softly, feeling a pang in his chest.

"I love singing. I want to pursue a degree in music — a higher education is all I want. Why can't the society allow that?" she finally let out as a tear slid through her eyes.

"Society will allow it if you fight for it. Look, my boudi is a barrister now," he pointed out.

She let out a humorless chuckle. "Bondita Didi could do that because Anirudh Dada was there, by her side. And he was her husband so he had a right to decide for his wife as per the society. Meanwhile, I? I have no one. Didi convinced my parents for education, but my parents won't give me for higher education alone. They said if my husband permits, then I can study. That's all." More fresh tears started to pour from her eyes.

Som took out a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to her. She took it without any second thoughts and started wiping her tears.

"Look," Som started speaking, "I know, it's hard. But you should fight till the end. You have Boudi by your side! And even Anirudh Dada and... me too."

She smiled warmly at his words. "I will listen to Bondita Didi only now. I know, what she will suggest for me will only be for my well-being. So for that, I need you to pass my message to her."

Som nodded.

"What do you think Boudi can do here?" he again curiously, wanting to see whether Chandni knows Bondita much or not.

"Bondita Didi will do everything to save me from this wedding, Bondita Didi's Devar. Only she and Anirudh Dada can help me now," she said to him confidently.

Som smiled genuinely, seeing the amount of trust Chandni had for his dada and boudi. "As I said, even I will help Dada and Boudi in whatever they plan. Don't worry."

Chandni arched an eyebrow as she teased, "I think, I should worry, because what if you forget to inform Bondita Didi again? Then I will be married off."

"I will not let that happen. Shotti," Som said and pinched his throat slightly like Bondita used to do.

Chandni chuckled and glanced at the time on her wristwatch, which was also gifted by Bondita and Anirudh once when she started going to school for the first time.

"We will see. Okay, I have to go now. We will see each other again if Durga Maa wishes," with that, she walked away.

Som kept admiring her as he watched her going away.

The moment she was out of his sight, Som realized that even today, he didn't get to praise her singing skills!

"Shit!" he groaned in frustration as he ran a hand through his hair. 

A/N: Next update when there is at least 15 comments! Thank you!