Chapter 14: No Entry, Widow

Everyone finished having dinner.

Bondita served a cup of coffee to Anirudh, who was engrossed in work in his study, and then went to the outhouse to meet Mala.

She knocked at the door and Barsha opened the door. Barsha noticed the saree and jewelries Bondita was wearing and it took her a split second to figure out who she was.

Barsha instantly folded her hands to greet. "Hello, Malkin."

Bondita smiled and did the same. "Hello, Kaki. I am Bondita. I am here to meet you and Mala."

Bondita stepped inside.

Mala just got out of the shower as she had the habit of taking one before going to sleep. She saw Bondita and asked in confusion, "Who are you?"

Bondita noticed that Mala was wearing a white saree and connected the dots. Mala was a widow. Her heart cried at that so she pulled Mala into a light hug. "I am Bondita and I am proud of you, Mala. You are a strong woman!"

Mala's eyes became watery at her soothing words. She reciprocated the hug. "Thank you, Didi."

They broke the hug. Bondita smiled and said, "No need to call me Didi. You can just call me by my name."

"Besides, Malkin is younger than you," Barsha butted in.

"Please call me Bondita," she turned to Barsha and said.

Barsha nodded with a grin. "Of course, Bondita! You are so sweet. We are really grateful you came to meet us."

"It's my duty, Kaki," she said as Barsha made Bondita sit. The three of them sat together.

"Whatever Barrister Babu did for us, we cannot thank him enough, really," Barsha started. "He is a gem."

Mala admired Bondita's look. She looked perfect—like a royal. She was even a lot prettier than any other woman she ever met. "Anirudh Babu got a gem," she mumbled.

"Huh?" Bondita was confused.

Mala realized and explained, "I mean, Anirudh Babu is a gem so he got a gem too, you."

Bondita smiled again but she felt weird. Anirudh Babu? He didn't let strangers call him that. He preferred Barrister Babu more. Were Mala and Anirudh friends?

"So I heard you went to London for a degree. You are a barrister too?" Barsha inquired and Bondita nodded.

The three of them chatted for a while until it was too late and Bondita returned to the haveli.

She walked to the study only to find Anirudh still engrossed in work.

"Patibabu, why didn't you tell me she's a widow?" Bondita asked accusingly. "I felt so bad seeing her like that. You should've informed me beforehand."

Anirudh mentally slapped his forehead. Of all the things, I forgot to tell her that?

He tried to explain, "Bondita, I forgot and besides, I didn't have enough time to—" he was interrupted by Trilochan, who was just walking past the study.

"Bahu! This is what I am tired of explaining." He stepped inside the study with his cane. "We cannot let a widow stay in our house for long."