Book 2-- Ch. 18 The Calm Before the Storm

Hey everybody :) Sorry this is short but the next chapter is VERY important. So vote, comment, and fan!

I paced the living room for the umpteenth time. Jack was munching on carrots, watching me.

“Can I tell him?” He asked.

“No,” I muttered.

“Why not?”

“Because I want to,” I lied. I really didn’t. The whole thing made me nervous.

“When will he be home?” Jack asked. I looked over at him. He’d turned four in March. Now he acted like a ten year old instead of an eight year old. He came over and wrapped his arms around me. He put his ear to my stomach, which was much bigger than it had been with him.

The garage door creaked open and Jace pulled in. Jack began to bounce excitedly.

“Hey guys, what did you do today?” Jace asked, picking up Jack.

“We went to see Jane and then we went to the store,” Jack said.

“Did you get anything good?” Jace asked him.

“Come on! I’ll show you!” Jack hoped down and took off towards the stairs. Jace and I followed. I stood outside our new nursery room while Jack took Jace inside, with his eyes closed.

Jace’s POV

“Close your eyes,” Jack ordered. I closed them. He pulled me through the nursery door.

“Don’t open them yet,” He said. I kept them closed.

“Ok, now open!” He shouted. I opened my eyes and looked around the room. The walls were still painted their dark blue color. Izzy had insisted that if it was a girl she would not be a pink lover. The furniture was the same, wait. Two. There was two of everything.

“Surprise,” Izzy said from the door.

“Twins?” I whispered. She nodded.

“It’s a good thing right?” She asked.

“Of course it’s a good thing it’s wonderful!” I shouted, hugging her.

“I’m getting a little sister and a little brother!” Jack cheered.

“Surprise again,” Izzy said. A daughter and a son. Wow. I couldn’t believe it. I was shocked. This was all so perfect. Jack squeezed into our hug.

“Can we go tell grandma and grandpa now?” Jack asked. I pulled him onto my back.

“We’re going right now!” I said. Izzy laughed at our enthusiasm and followed us downstairs. JJ was lounging on the couch.

“Come on JJ, you want to come too?” I asked. He climbed down from the couch, stretched, and wagged his tail. He was probably the most relaxed dog I’d ever met. He followed us out to the car and climbed into the backseat. He licked Jack’s face then settled down on his stomach.

Izzy’s POV

We pulled into my parent’s house around five. They would probably be eating dinner, but they would get over it. My nerves were calmed a little after Jace’s positive reaction. I was still scared though. The twin’s were due around the thirtieth of May, but Jane said we could probably expect them any day after the first. Jace held my hand as we entered the house. I think he could tell how nervous I was.

“Grandma, we’re here!” Jack called. He ran into the dining room. Sure enough they all sat around the table. Andrew was sitting next to a girl, probably his current girlfriend.

“Well hey guys, we just started eating do you want  some?” Mom asked.

“Yes!” Jack shouted. So after my mom got us all food and we sat down did Jack decide he’d waited long enough.

“Grandpa guess what,” He said.

“What,” He said.

“I’m getting a little sister,” He said.

“A girl I knew it!” Emma shrieked.

“Dang it,” Andrew said handing ten dollars to Emma. I just smiled.

“Did you guys pick out a name yet?” Mom asked.

“And a brother,” Jack said. Everyone stopped. They looked from Jack to me to Jace, shocked.

“I get it,” Andrew’s little friend shouted. “She’s having twins!”

I raised my eyebrows. “She’s a keeper,” I told Andrew.

“What? No this is my lab partner,” He said.

“Forget the lab partner, twins?” Emma asked. I nodded. She began to bounce in her seat, at least now I know where Jack gets it.

“OH MY GOSH!” She shouted. She ran around the table and wrapped me in a hug.

“A boy and a girl huh?” Dad mused. I smiled, trying to hid my nervousness.

----

“Izzy, come help me with the dishes please,” Mom said. I gladly followed her into the kitchen. Andrew’s lap partner had left after dinner, his girlfriend was on her way, they were going to a movie. Emma had gone out for the night, leaving Jace, Jack, and I with my parents and Andrew, until he left anyway.

“You don’t have to be scared,” She said. She looked down at the dishes she was washing.

“Nervous, not scared.” I whispered.

“It’ll be different this time, Jace is here.” She said. I bit my lip and nodded.

“What’s really got you so nervous?” She asked.

“What if he hurts them,” I whispered. Tears filled my eyes.

“Your father is working as hard as—“

“It isn’t enough.” I said. I knew everyone was thinking it. They were as close to catching Mark as they were when they believed he was dead.

“Everything will be ok,” She said. So many times I’d been told that and every time was a bitter lie. A knock on the door reminded me of where I was.

“Hey Logan,” I heard Andrew say. I went into the living room. Logan was apparently the name of Andrew’s girlfriend. From his past girl friends I expected to see some bleach blonde slut. That’s the kind of girls Andrew dated. I was pleasantly surprised to see the exact opposite type of girl.

“Logan this is my sister Izzy, her husband Jace, and their son Jack.” Andrew said. Logan smiled.

“It’s nice to meet you all,” She said.

“We better get going,” Andrew said. They headed out the door. I turned to Dad.

“She’s nice,” I said.

“Better than those other girls he brings home,” Dad mumbled. “Why can’t he bring girls home like the guys you brought home?”

“Dad you chased all the guys I brought home out with a gun,” I reminded him.

“Yeah, but I liked them.” He muttered.

“You had a funny way of showing it,” I laughed. Dad shrugged and went on reading his paper.