Ch. 13 My Idiot

Jace’s POV

I had a horrible nightmare that I was being suffocated by a black bear. I couldn’t wake up because it was lying on my. My eyes shot open. The black bear’s fur was all over my face. Reality slowly came back and I realized it was just Izzy’s hair. Her head rose up and down with my chest as I breathed. I looked around the room. Jake sat at the old table picking at it. Mark and Mr. Newman were nowhere to be found.

“No,” Izzy mumbled. She rolled off of me and curled in a ball. I sat up.

“Mornin’,” Jake said.

“Where is everyone?” I asked. In the daylight the cabin wasn’t as old and creepy as I thought.

“Boss went out to get some supplies; all the old ones are sittin’ at the bottom of the river. Mark, well only God knows where he is. If she ain’t up he ain’t interested in stickin’ around.” Jake muttered.

I glared at him.

“If it helps any, I think this is stupid. Boss went too far, way too far. You know how this all started? We were only going to break into your house. Then it turned into breaking and stealing your sister or you. Then it was kidnapping you or your sister and killing your mother. Then it was killing your mother and sister and taking you. Now it’s kidnapping you and your girlfriend. I don’t know why he doesn’t just let her go. She doesn’t deserve this. Neither do you. It’s all stupid.” Jake ranted.

The door flew open, slamming into the wall. Izzy didn’t even flinch. Mark came storming through. He threw an axe at the ground. It stuck in the floor boards.

“Why do I have to cut the wood? Why can’t we make him do it?” He shouted, pointing at me.

“Yeah Mark; let’s give the kid an axe. That’s real smart.” Jake snapped back.

“He wouldn’t do nutin’! Not if his pretty little girlfriend’s life depended on it.” Mark threw me a wicked glared. I lunged at him. The handcuff bit into my skin and pulled me back. Mark laughed like a hyena.

“No,” Izzy murmured. Mark looked at her. His eyes were dark and hungry.

“Don’t even think about it.” I growled at him.

“No, please.” Izzy cried.

“Izzy,” I whispered.

“No, please, stop!” She shrieked. I grabbed her shoulders and shook her lightly.

“Izzy, wake up.” I said.

“No, don’t, don’t!” She screamed thrashing against me. I shook her as hard as I could. Her eyes flew open. Giant tears welled up and spilled over. She wrapped her arms around me and began to cry.

Izzy’s POV

My nightmare was cut short by Jace shaking me awake. I couldn’t hold back the tears. I wrapped myself around him and cried. I cried until I couldn’t cry anymore. Sniffing I looked over his shoulder. Mark stood grinning at me. I shrieked and jumped back. Idiot! I screamed at myself. I had sworn I wouldn’t let him get to me. I would be strong.

Mark laughed at my reaction.

“Mark, leave her alone.” Jake ordered. The cabin fell silent.

“What did you say to me?” Mark hissed. Jake stood up, unafraid, and turned to Mark.

“I said, ‘Mark, leave her alone.’ Are you stupid and deaf?” Jake challenged.

Mark punched him square in the jaw. Jake fell back onto his chair, a look of shock on his face.