Book 2-- Chapter 6 The Picture

The next morning I woke up and Jace was gone. I looked at the clock, 11:45. Jace was in class right now. The college was offering summer courses that would allow him to graduate this year, instead of next year. Jace had jumped at the chance. He says my bartending won’t keep us alive. I remembered I promised to get Jack at noon.

“Crap!” I shouted, jumping out of bed. I ran into the closet and pulled on a pair of denim shorts. I grabbed a yellow and white stripped tank top and succeeded in falling down four stairs trying to put it on while running down the stairs.

My car keys were sitting on the counter with a note telling me it was in the garage, I knew they stole it. I grabbed them and slipped on my flip flops. I raced out into the garage and hoped in my car. I managed to make it to my parents at 12:02, I should start racing in NASCAR.

“Hey, Mom, Dad, anyone home!” I shouted, opening the door. Jack came rushing in from the kitchen with a juice box in his hand.

“Mommy!” He screamed. I picked him up and kissed his little cheek.

“Did you have fun at grandma and grandpa’s?” I asked, sliding him onto my hip.

“I had lots of fun!” He shrieked. This was the Jack I loved.

Mom was in the kitchen making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. “Yum, I’m starved!” I said when I saw them.

Mom looked over her shoulder and laughed. “Did you eat at all this weekend?” She asked.

“Yes, I ate a hot pocket yesterday.” I defended.

“Yeah,” Jack added. I hugged him to me, squeezing him tight.

“Well I’m glad you had such a wonderful meal.” She handed me a sandwich. I sat down at the table and handed half to Jack. He sat on my lap merrily munching on his half. Andrew came running through the kitchen then skidded to a halt. He smirked at me.

“What?” I asked, through my mouth of peanut butter.

“How was your weekend?” He asked.

I glared at him. “It was fine,”

“Only fine? Guess Jace’s good looks is where it stops huh?” He teased. I set Jack carefully on a chair and tackled Andrew to the ground.

“For your information it was WONDERFUL and AMAZING and—“

“Oh Jace, oh Jace you’re so hot I love you! Oh Jace!” Andrew screamed, laughing uncontrollable.

“Shut up!” I shrieked. We rolled around on the floor. Jack jumped up on his chair cheering for me to beat Andrew.

“I give up! I give up!” I laughed, as Andrew pinned me under him. He got up laughing and stuck his hand out to help me up.

“You two are both nuts,” Mom whispered. She escaped out of the kitchen.

“Mommy,” Jack whispered, tugging on my shirt.

“What baby,” I asked. He held out his arms and I lifted him up.

“I gotta show you something,” He said.

“Ok, where is it?” I answered.

“In your room,” He said, he looked down sheepishly. I kissed his head and carried him up to my room. He climbed down nimbly and went over to my closet. He dug around for a minute and pulled out a shirt and a pair of shorts. Jace’s shirt and my patched up shorts. He held them out to me. I sat on the ground and took them. He climbed in my lap and took the clothes back. He stuck his little finger through the hole in the shirt.