Book 2-- Chapter 2 Be Mine

Jace and I were sitting in the living room talking when my dad and mom walked in the door. My dad jumped back in shocked. My mom rushed forward and wrapped Jace in a big bear hug.

“Welcome back Jace!” She squealed. My mom had always like Jace, in case you didn’t notice.

“Hey, Mrs. James,” He said, hugging her back. He stuck out his hand towards my dad. “Chief,”

“I thought you moved to California.” Leave it to Dad to make a person feel unwelcome.

“I decided to move out while I finish my last year of school. I transfer to Trenton U.” Jace said. Trenton University was actually in the next town over, but every kid from Trenton went there and it was eventually renamed for some brilliant genius kid or something.

“Oh really, and what are you studying for?” Dad asked intrigued. Trenton had a large criminal justice program, so of course Dad was a giant supporter.

“Computer forensics,” Jace said. Dad’s mouth practically watered. The Trenton police force was dying for a computer geek to trace e-mails and all the other dorky stuff.

Dad practically dragged Jace away with him. Mom caught my arm, holding me back. Uh oh.

“He knows about Jack?” She asked.

“Yes Mom, he already met him.” I assured her. It was her biggest fear that I would get rejected because of Jack.

“And he seems… ok with it?” She pressed.

“I don’t know how ok anyone can be considering who his father is…” I told her.

“I suppose you’re right. Why don’t you help me with dinner?” She asked.

“Alright,” I sighed reluctantly.

Mom and I worked on cooking dinner while Dad drilled Jace on his future. I threw him sympathetic glances whispering apologizes. Emma rushed downstairs when she heard Andrew and Jack come back in. Of course they had to get into a giant fight about one of Andrew’s skateboards. Jack, who idolized Andrew, yelled back at Emma. The kitchen was about to explode.

“Stop it!” Mom yelled. No one listened.

“Hey, shut up!” I screamed louder. Everyone stopped. I grinned in triumph. “Andrew, your skateboard is in the garage. Emma I scratched your car, not him. I’m sorry. Jack, settle down or you’re taking a nap.” I ordered. Andrew rolled his eyes and went out to find his skateboard. Emma helped Mom set the table. Jack on the other hand…

“I don’t wanna take a nap!” He shouted.

“You’ll take a nap if I say you’ll take a nap.” I said, calmly. Jack liked to fight with me. I couldn’t give him an inch or he’d run with it.

“You’re not the boss of me.” He sneered.

“Yes, I am.” I insisted.

“Are not!” He shouted.

“And what makes you think I’m not?” I asked.

“Cause you’re too little!” He shouted. Jace looked at me confused. Was Jack really not going to listen to me because I was short, that’s what he was thinking. He hadn’t been around long enough to understand what Jack meant. I wasn’t old enough to be the boss of him.

My throat tightened. This was the inch Jack was searching for. I would always give up the argument when he said that. I swept him up in one swift motion and carried him upstairs. He fought and struggled against me.