↭34

Chenle stood outside the tent where the army officers stayed, his heart pounding with a mixture of frustration and desperation

Chenle: Weixang, just talk to me.

He yelled, hoping to break through the barrier of silence that separated them. For a moment, there was no response, and Chenle's resolve wavered. But then, the curtain was pushed aside, and his elder brother stepped out into the dim light.

Weixang: I thought you couldn't handle talking to me.

Weixang said, his tone laced with bitterness. Chenle felt a pang of guilt at his brother's words but he managed to not show it.

Chenle: What lab are we going to? And is it safe?

The elder avoided his gaze, a shadow passing over his features and chose not to answer as he looked away, ready to go back in.

Chenle: Ge-

Chenle began, but his words were cut off as Weixang interrupted him.

Weixang: Chenle, you and your friend group technically put all the officers here in danger because you forgot to mention that two of your friends have... been scratched.

Chenle: But they-

He started to protest, but Weixang didn't let him finish.

Weixang: I thought you would be smarter than this. They can turn any time, do you want to die?

Chenle opened his mouth to respond, but the words were caught in his throat. He realized that Weixang assumed the scratches were fresh, that his brother believed they were all in danger.

Chenle: They will not-

Chenle tried to clarify, but Weixang turned away, leaving him standing there, his thoughts swirling with frustration and confusion.

Why do i even try?

---

The others looked up at Chenle, hopeful for anything, but he just shook his head.

Chenle: He thinks we put everyone in danger. And he thinks the wounds are fresh and that you both will turn at any moment. I tried to tell him, but he wouldn't listen.

The others exchanged worried glances, uncertainty clouding their expressions.

Seolmi: So now what? They're going to take me and Jeno away?

Jiseon: They wouldn't... right?

Her question went unanswered as worry dawned on them

Yujung: We should run away. 

She spoke up, her voice laced with urgency.

Jaemin: And go where? There will be zombies everywhere. 

He reasoned and shook his head, his expression grim. 

Renjun: Besides if we go to another camp we will get caught... again. And we can't live in survival forever either. 

Yujung: So we just let them separate us?

Jeno: Maybe they won't. Maybe they'll give us an antidote and then let us go. 

Seolmi: Yeah... that's probably it. 

Seolmi forced a hopeful smile, though her eyes betrayed her fear. Despite their attempts to stay optimistic, a sense of dread hung heavy in the air.

The next moment, their curtain was pushed aside and the officers came in with big guns slung over their shoulders. The younger group, all took a step to move closer, a new fear settling in them. 

Weixang: You all are to be deported to the lab at headquarters. And we must leave now. I ask... for your cooperation. I don't want to use force.

His voice was firm and his expression unreadable. The group exchanged nervous glances, their hearts pounding with a mixture of fear and resignation. Jaemin spoke up, his voice tinged with hope.

Jaemin: You are not separating us?

Officer Bang: All nine of you are to leave. Now we must not waste time. Are you coming willingly or...?

The group shared looks again and this time they nodded reluctantly. The officers nodded too before pushing the curtain aside and nodding for them to get out. They followed the officers out of the camp, their footsteps heavy with the weight of uncertainty.

Officer Bang: Come on. 

They followed him while Weixang followed in the very back. 

Outside, a military plane awaited them. The nine of them were strapped into the parallel facing seats of the plane, before the two officers moved to the cockpit. Jiseon looked around to make eye contact with Donghyuck who was next to her. 

He gave her a reassuring nod before holding onto her hand, their fingers lacing tightly. Jiseon let out a sigh, her heart racing when they ascended the air.

---

Weixang glanced to the back of the plane, a worried frown settling on his face.

Officer Bang: Are the asleep?

His voice broke the silence, drawing Weixang's attention back to the front.

Weixang: When he finds out... he will never forgive me again. 

Officer Bang: You do know that they risked all of us by pulling that stunt don't you. 

Weixang: I know. But maybe they were scared. They're kids. 

Officer Bang sighed and Weixang screwed his eyes shut knowing what was going to be said.

Officer Bang: I don't get you. First, when headquarters ordered us to bring them in, you hesitated. Then you agreed with us to go through with it. And now you're worried about it, again?

Weixang just groaned before running a hand through his hair.

Officer Bang: Like the headquarters will take it lightly if we said no. 

He muttered under his breath but then sighed again. 

Weixang: Now go and sedate them. If they fight, do it forcefully.

As the plane continued its journey towards headquarters, Weixang couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at him.