↭32

When they reached the camp the first thing the group was allowed to do was freshen up

When they reached the camp the first thing the group was allowed to do was freshen up. The boys were led to a shared shower and were separated from the three girls. In fact it was Chenle's brother who led them.

Weixang: You guys can throw your clothes away... fresh clothes will be there for you in the locker room. There are trimmers if you want to shave and nail cutters. 

The boys nodded before they were left alone. They all shared looks before getting into the stalls that didn't cover much. But really, no one cared. Ever since they used the underground tunnels to get there, they had no showers. It was the first one in two days.

They washed away the dirt and filth from their bodies, a painful silence in between them. Jeno kept glancing at Minhyung who absentmindedly washed himself. 

They were silent even in the locker room. 

Only Jeno and Jaemin chose to shave as they were the only ones showing hair. Minhyung had stubbles too, but he didn't do anything. In fact Renjun was the one who cut his nails for him.

They were in safety now, but this situation had left such an incurable scar in all of them.

---

Seolmi combed through her hair. She was staring at herself in the mirror and she could see Yujung crying silently in the back. And Jiseon kept staring at the space next to her as if imagining Dayeon there. But in reality there were only the three of them.

Seolmi didn't have the heart to get them to get up and move. She too just wanted to sit down and think about everything that went wrong. But instead, a female officer peaked in and said that they were waiting for them. The girls all hesitantly head out and walked back to the main area where there was food set up for them. 

Seolmi took a seat next to Jeno who turned to her. The two looked at each other, a moment of hope and comfort shining through the eye contact. The group slowly started eating their meal, though Minhyung opted to just sit and stare at the food. 

There was a piercing pain coursing through everyone. No one had said anything about it yet. No one even mentioned her yet. 

Weixang: You guys can get comfortable here. 

They all looked up at him as he gave them all a soft smile. Seeing another person that was not a eighteen year old was new and didn't seem natural. 

Weixang: Whenever you guys are ready, you will be tested before you guys will be moved to a safer town in China, where you will be able to connect back to your family. Till then, I'm afraid its just you guys. 

No one responded. Somehow, more than seeing her parents, Seolmi wanted to see Jisung fooling around and Dayeon giving them the sweetest smile like she always did to lift their spirits up. 

Weixang then said something in Chinese while looking at Chenle. The younger boy glared at the officer for a minute before looking at Seolmi. She nodded before pulling Yujung away from the boy and embracing her in a hug. He then got up and followed Weixang to a different tent. 

They were all left alone again as rain started falling around their tent. Seolmi watched as the rain fell against the ground, already forming puddles by how heavy the rainfall was. 

Renjun: This is unfair. 

He muttered. Seolmi didn't even glance at him, knowing where he was coming from. 

Renjun: This is so not fair. 

He said while dropping the spoon and wiping a tear. He got up before running to the tent that they were told they would be sleeping in. A moment passed before Jaemin ran after him. No one had a strong enough appetite and everyone just gave up trying to eat at this point. 

It was pure solid food. No preservatives, no left overs, no stale chips or snacks. It was warm, freshly cooked food yet no one bothered finishing it up. 

Yujung: Are we supposed to be happy that we were saved?

She whispered and Seolmi looked down at the girl who sounded so broken. 

Yujung: If they had bothered to rescue us from school itself... all eleven of us would be here. No one would have been scratched, no one attacked, no one left uncured, and no one torn apart alive.

This time Minhyung got up and left. Seolmi only hugged Yujung tighter as she felt her shoulder dampen with the other's tears.

So not fair.

---

Chenle breathed out shakily as he faced his older brother in the secluded corner of the tent. He had years of resentment and questions that churned inside of him. 

Weixang: Chenle I-

Chenle: You left us. I mean I get, dad was pressuring. He was a perfectionist. But you left us. They missed you every day, every second. 

Weixang: I know. I'm horrible and selfish for what I did-

Chenle: We almost stopped talking with each other Weixang! Dad thought he was doing something wrong so all he did was check on me while studying. I might sound crazy but i missed the nagging dad! Now all he did was have a pitiful expression and eyes that questioned his every move and decision. There was a way to get through this without abandoning us!

Weixang: I was young and stupid. I'm sorry, I really am. Please... trust me, i regretted it.

Chenle: Then why didn't you come back?

The elder pursed his lips instead of answering and Chenle found himself scoffing before looking away. He muttered under his breath, just not having the energy to argue anymore. 

Weixang: I fit in here. I like being an army officer. I feel a sense of duty and purpose. That was not what I felt when i tried to study business. 

Chenle looked up at him. In a way he could understand where his brother was coming from, but he just couldn't forgive him. It was too soon. He was angry. He was grieving. He just lost two of his friends. So he simply, just left his brother and head back to the others.

 So he simply, just left his brother and head back to the others