Chapter 8

Where is 'here'? I looked around at all the trees. That's all I saw. Trees. Were we going hiking or something? Tyler opened my door and held out his hand. I gave him a funny look.

"It's easy to fall here," he nodded to the rocks on the uneven ground. "Take my hand."

We walked around the car and across the road. Did he just wanna stare at the trees?

"What are we doing?" I asked as we made our way, hand in hand, down the side of a tree covered hill.

"We're walking."

"Well I can see that," I laughed. "But where are we walking to?"

"One of my favorite places," he said, looking back at me with a smile.

Eventually the trees came to an end and there was a gravelly clearing and then I saw the lake. He let my hand go and we walked closer to the water.

"The lake?" I questioned.

"I know it's no Disneyland but it's quiet, fun and I love coming here. I thought you would too," he said, tossing a rock across the water.

"It's beautiful," I smiled. It really was. I loved places like this.

"Great place to come at night too," he added. "If you're not scared of the critters."

I laughed. "No. I don't mind the critters. My backyard at home backs up to the woods. I'm used to critters."

He smiled and sat down at the edge of the water gesturing for me to sit next to him. We sat there for awhile enjoying the peace before he finally spoke up.

"What's it like?" he asked.

I had no idea what he was referring to."What?"

"What's the south like?" He turned to look at me.

"A lot like this," I said, gesturing to the lake and beautiful countryside. "It's really beautiful, like this. Nothing like New York City."

"I bet. I've only been to Florida and Texas down there."

"Touring?"

"Yeah. Didn't get to see much."

"If you ever find your way down there, I could show you around," I offered.

"Yeah," he smiled. "I'd love that."

'Me too,' I thought to myself.We talked awhile longer and he taught me how to skip rocks on the water. He also told me about his family and childhood, as well as the small town he grew up in, not far from here.

"Do you wanna see it?" he asked, referring to his hometown.

"Sure," I smiled.

We trekked back to the car in silence. I was enjoying listening to the birds and the rustling of the leaves. I never really thought New York could be so beautiful. We drove a few miles until we came upon a small town. There were kids chasing each other around the playground of an elementary school. We passed through a neighborhood and Tyler waved out the window at a boy playing fetch with his dog in his front yard. I guess they're friends. He pulled up in the driveway of a big white house that looked to be about ten years old and cut the engine.

"You don't have to come in if you don't want to," he said, opening his car door. "I'll just be a minute."

"Okay," I said, staying put.

I watched him run up to the porch and unlock the door. He was in the house for a couple minutes and then came jogging back to the car. He leaned in the open window.