29 At peace

Roman POV

The day passed and, as expected, we both received countless calls from our families and friends. However, all but the very important people in our lives we ignored for now. Because there was still time. For Kate and I, it was now much more important to have time to ourselves and let everything new sink in.

We talked for hours while we made plans for the next day. Together we applied for the marriage license online. Then we made sure we had everything we would need. It wasn't much, so this part went quickly.

In the evening, we cooked together as usual before snuggling up on the couch again. Automatically, my hand kept resting on Kate's stomach and stroking it gently as we talked.

She often put her hand on top of mine and gave me a little smile. I could say with such certainty that I was exactly where I wanted to be. And I didn't care in the slightest that some might consider it rushed. Everything was right between us and I knew that from the very first moment. Kate had overcome her fear for me, but especially because of me. She was happy, I could feel that. Just as happy as I was.

"How are you feeling?" I asked as we lay in bed together.

It was quite late by now, but we were both finding it difficult to fall asleep.

"Nervous... But I'm really happy too. And you?" she replied as she drew little patterns on my chest with her fingers.

"I can hardly wait. And I don't just mean the wedding tomorrow. But everything. Our whole life together. I know we still have a lot to talk about, but I'm actually holding everything I need in my arms right now." I replied before sighing deeply.

"Oh, I know that feeling." she said softly and snuggled closer to me.

It didn't take long for Kate to relax and finally fall asleep. I pressed another kiss to her hair before I too closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

*****

Kate POV

On Monday morning, I got ready for the wedding. I was alone in the bedroom while Ro got ready upstairs in the guest room. However, I heard the front door open and close a few times and then there were repeated footsteps on the stairs.

I knew he must be up to something, but I stayed here so as not to spoil a possible surprise or anything.

As I sat at my vanity I filmed a bit of my getting ready process. It was something I wanted to remember later. My hands were shaking a little as I did my makeup and hair. Then I rummaged through my closet. I had a pretty good idea which dress would be perfect. But I didn't know if it would still fit me. I had only tried it on once before I bought it. Since then it had lived in my wardrobe. The white knee-length cocktail dress without sleeves. It had a slim fit and a high neckline. Somehow it always reminded me of the dress Natasha Richardson wore in The Parent Trap when you first saw her, even though it didn't have the detail. My dress was simpler, but it was me. I put it on and to my satisfaction it fit perfectly.

"Are you ready, future husband?" I asked from the hallway.

"I can't wait to see my bride, Katie." he replied and I could hear in his voice that he was indeed excited.

I took the few steps into the living room and saw him waiting for me. Roman was wearing black jeans with a dark blue sports jacket over a white dress shirt. He looked so fantastic. The sight almost reminded me of our first date. And the butterflies in my stomach were just as big.

Only then did I notice that he was holding a small bouquet of flowers in his hand. Now I knew why he was outside. He had been in the garden and had picked them for me.

"Oh wow... Look at you, baby girl. You're perfect." he said as he came towards me.

"Ditto, Roman. You took the words right out of my mouth." I replied.

He gave me a kiss on the forehead before handing me the flowers with a broad smile.

"Thank you, my love. Shall we?" I then asked.

"We shall. We have everything. Let's get married." he replied.

*****

When we arrived at the city hall, we were delighted to discover that we were the only ones applying to get married today. As we had already submitted everything online, it took less than an hour for the license to be issued and for us to be taken to the room with the judge who was to marry us.

"God, Roman! We forgot the rings!" I suddenly gasped as I remembered.

"No, my darling. I have everything here. I got them when I picked out your engagement ring. They are a set and therefore go together." he quickly reassured me.

The judge greeted us and then began the ceremony.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join this man and this woman in matrimony." he began.

He talked about how we were both now walking down the road of marriage. That we would share ups and downs. How serious the decision was to share our lives from now on. But then came the most important part.

"Roman, do you take this woman to be your wife, to live together in matrimony, to love her, to honor her, to comfort her, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?"he asked Roman first.

"I do!" Ro replied happily.

"Katherine, do you take this man to be your husband, to live together in matrimony, to love him, to honor him, to comfort him, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?" he asked, directed at me.

"I do!" I replied quickly.

"Repeat after me... I, Roman, take you Katherine, to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part." said the judge and Roman repeated the words while looking deep into my eyes.

Then it was my turn and my heart was beating faster than ever before. 

"I, Katherine, take you Roman, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part." I repeated.

Then it was time for us to exchange rings. Despite my trembling fingers, I managed to put the ring on Ro's hand. When Roman had put a ring on me, he didn't miss the opportunity to kiss my hand and the rings on it.

"By virtue of the authority vested in me under the laws of the State of Georgia, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride." he then said.

And that was something he didn't have to tell Roman twice.

Roman carefully took my face between his palms and kissed me as my husband for the first time.

I had never expected to feel such peace. But that was exactly what I felt. I was happy and at peace. I only had my husband to thank for all this.

"I love you," I whispered.

"I love you more." Roman replied quietly.