27 Way too soon

Roman POV

After a seemingly endless flight, we had finally touched down. It was a good thing it hadn't taken any longer, because the last thing I wanted was to miss Kate's first match. Even though I wasn't keen on the whole idea, I wanted to support her.

It had been bad enough having to leave her alone for the last few days. Unfortunately, it was part of the job. But now it wouldn't be much longer before I could take her in my arms again.

On the way to the baggage claim, I turned my phone back on and almost immediately it blew up with missed calls, voicemails, normal messages and so on. What was going on here? My first thought was that something must have happened. Immediately everything inside me tightened. Had someone, maybe even Kate, been hurt?

Before I got to listen to the first message, Jimmy was already standing in front of me and suddenly hugged me tightly. Confused, I returned the gesture.

"Congratulations, Uce! I'm so happy for you. Why didn't you tell us?" he cheered, adding to my confusion.

"Told you what? What do you mean?" I wanted to know.

"Well, that you're going to be a daddy! Not nice to keep it a secret from the family." he replied.

"What? How could..? Why do you say 'daddy'?" I asked because what he said didn't make sense.

"Um... well... you don't know? You should talk to Kate real quick." he replied stammering as he realized that I indeed had no idea what he meant.

With a furrowed brow, I did as he said. I turned my attention back to my phone. I quickly saw that the oldest voicemail was from Kate. My heart beat faster as I began to listen to it.

"Hi Ro... I really hope you do have internet and that you get my message as soon as possible. We need to talk. It's damn important. Get back to me as soon as you can. I love you." was the first message from her.

Not even 15 minutes later, she had left me the next one.

"Babe, I'm so sorry I couldn't tell you in person. I didn't mean to blurt it out like that. But I was afraid of what she might do. Give me a call. I'm sorry." it said in this one.

What the hell was going on here? But I was able to find the answer quickly. All it took was opening social media and there it was. The headline that seemed to dominate everything.

YouTuber and aspiring WWE personality confirms pregnancy during confrontation with Becky Lynch.

"Oh... My... God! Oh my God!" I gasped and then clicked on the video.

It was clear to see that she didn't really want to announce it like that. And when I saw Becky grab her by the hair... That made my blood boil. But then I focused on the most important thing. We had a baby on the way! We were expecting a baby!

I immediately dialed Kate's number, but even after it rang countless times, she didn't answer. I tried a few times, always with the same result. She was probably asleep. After all, it was still pretty early in the morning. Maybe I had better luck reaching Naomi.

I looked at Jimmy and he was also on the phone.

"Hey, is that Na?" I wanted to know.

"Yes. Here talk to her." he said immediately and handed me his phone.

"Hi Na... How is she? Where is she?" I asked without waiting for a word from her.

"Hi... Hunter had her taken to the airport as soon as he could yesterday. So that means she's home. Kate's pretty rattled, as you can imagine." she replied.

"Thanks Na... I'll take care of her." I said before handing the phone back.

Next, I called Hunter. There was no way I could wait a minute longer than necessary to get to Kate. I had to be with her now, because I could imagine that she was freaking out.

I had so many feelings inside me that I couldn't even say which was the strongest. Love, joy, worry and a little panic. Oh and not to forget guilt that I wasn't there, even though I wasn't to blame.

"Morning, Roman. I've been expecting your call. It's all sorted out. And I've already booked you a connecting flight to Columbus. It leaves in an hour. Hurry up and... Congratulations," he said without me having to explain what I wanted.

I said goodbye and it wasn't long before the boys pulled me into a group hug. Part of me couldn't believe it yet. I was going to be a dad.

*****

Kate POV

After the long way home and the many thoughts racing through my head, I was so exhausted that I fell asleep on the couch. My head was pounding and my eyes were stinging from the tears I had shed in my overload of emotions.

I didn't know if I should be happy... I mean, yes I was happy... so much so that it hurt. But then... I had no idea how to be a mom. And more importantly... I had no idea how Roman would take the news.

After all, we'd never spoken about it before. Because, to be honest, we weren't together long enough for that. I mean... it had only been eight months. Were we ready?

The only thing I knew at this point was that I wanted him forever, even though the thought alone still scared me. After all, I had been certain once before.

I slowly got up and stretched carefully. Then I went into the kitchen to make myself a coffee. My thoughts and my hand wandered to this baby. A small smile formed on my lips.

I took a sip, but then it occurred to me that it probably wasn't so good for our baby. Our baby... it was so unreal.

It was just as unreal that I had to say it way... way too soon. Why did she have to do that? And what would she have done if I hadn't said it? I had had to do it to protect the baby and myself. Now I could only hope and pray that everything would be okay.

With a deep sigh, I switched on the kettle so that I could make myself some tea. But just as I was about to pour the water, the doorbell rang.

That was strange. Had I forgotten to lock the gate? There was only one person apart from me who knew the code.

I went over and opened the door. I almost fainted at the sight that presented itself to me. It was Roman and he was down on one knee holding out something small in his hand.

"Roman, what-" I began in shock.

"Hey Katie, I just wanted to ask you a very important question real quick. Will you marry me?" he asked, his face serious but his eyes so warm they could have melted me.