9 Little steps

Kate POV

As I lay in Roman's arms, it burst out of me uncontrollably and no matter how hard I tried to stop my sobs and tears, I just couldn't do it. All the emotions erupted from me at once.

He just held me while I cried. Time and time again he whispered soothing words while he gently stroked my back. I couldn't remember how many times I tried to take a deep breath to calm myself down. But it must have been often.

I didn't know how long we sat there like that, but eventually it started to rain outside. Thunder could be heard in the distance.

Eventually I straightened up again. Sniffling, I wiped my eyes as I looked up at Roman. His look clearly showed me how worried he was.

"Sorry you had to see that," I whispered as I got up to get a tissue.

I blew my nose and then sat back down next to him. He immediately grabbed my hand before lifting my chin with his other one so that I had to look at him. I didn't really want to do that at that moment. I was too ashamed of my own stupidity.

"Hey... never apologize for your feelings, okay? I can understand why you feel that way and it's understandable. But.... I think you should look at the positive side of it." Roman replied in his deep voice.

"What's positive about it?" I asked, confused.

"Well... first of all, you can't change the past and it doesn't change anything if you beat yourself up and punish yourself that way.... Secondly... It would have been much worse if you had only found out after a wedding. It's a small consolation that at least he didn't ruin that experience for you. He gave you so many bad memories, but you still have things in your life that he couldn't take away." he explained.

"There's something to that... Could you excuse me? I need to wash my face." I replied and gave him a small smile.

After all, he was right. Many more bad, cruel things could have happened. And I really shouldn't let that bastard fuck up the rest of my life.

"Take your time, Katie," Roman said as he gave me a small, completely unexpected kiss on the forehead.

I quickly retreated to the bathroom. A glance in the mirror showed me that my eyes were red and puffy. No one was supposed to see me like this, but it still felt good to let it out.

I quickly splashed some cold water on my face before going back into the living room. Roman was standing at the window looking out. At first I thought he was looking at the rain. But when I saw that his forehead was furrowed and he had his arms crossed over his chest, I had the feeling that he was more upset.

"Are you all right, Roman?" I asked quietly.

He sighed deeply before turning to me. His face immediately softened and he reached an arm out to me.

"I'm fine. I'm more worried about you. Come here." he replied.

A little hesitantly, I went to him and let him wrap me in his arms. He enveloped me in them as I leaned against him. A relieved sigh escaped me as my head lay against his chest and I could listen to his heartbeat.

"You don't have to worry about me. I'm a big girl." I finally replied.

"And you don't always have to be brave, baby girl." he said softly.

We stood at the window together for a while and enjoyed the sounds of the storm. The wind picked up and the rain hammered loudly on the roof. But it didn't bother me as much as usual. Just standing here with him was... It was simply beautiful and felt right. A feeling that I hadn't had for a long time and that I never expected to feel again.

"So tell me... How are you feeling about my... revelation? If you don't like me anymore... I can totally understand that. You know-" I started at some point as anxiety built up inside me.

But I couldn't even finish. Instead, he pressed his mouth forcefully onto mine and kissed me in a way that took my breath away. My arms wrapped around his neck as he pulled me closer to him.

"I'm not scared off so easily. I want to see where this takes us." he finally replied.

"Little steps?" I asked, swallowing against the lump in my throat.

"Little steps, I promise." Roman said as he pulled me back into his arms.