thirty-one

'How have you been? Things seem to have been a lot better between the two of you lately?' Lia asks softly as she glances at Courtney, the two of them walking a few paces behind Leah who is happily chatting to Bunny as they little girl is secured to her chest in the baby carrier. They landed in Eindhoven around two hours ago given them time to drop their bags off at the hotel and get changed before heading to the game.

'I've been okay... It um- It's been a process for both of us I think just trying to get back to where we were pre-injury but I think we're getting there. I always knew that it was purely down to the fact that she was struggling but I also didn't want to just be her punching bag.' Courtney admits and Lia nods her head.

'And you should never have to be anyone's punching bag, Courtney. I don't think Leah could've ever anticipated that this would have hit her as hard as it has but that still didn't give her the right to treat you the way she did.' Lia says causing Courtney to sigh.

'She's apologised so much and I know she never meant anything she said. I just- It's taken some time but I finally feel like I'm beginning to get the Leah I fell in love with back.' Courtney replies.

'It's a hard injury, one that we all dread getting but like I said that still doesn't condone the way she treated you and I told her that.' Lia says smiling at the brunette.

'What are your plans for when you're in Barca? Le was saying that you're staying with someone called Ana?' Courtney asks and Lia nods her head.

'Yeah, Ana Crnogorcevic. We play together in the national team. After everything that's gone on this year, everything that happened with Caitlin I thought it would be nice to just have some time away in the sun.' Lia replies.

'How are things with you and Caitlin now?' Courtney asks.

'We're okay. I can accept that we're over and she's with Katie now. I think initially it was just the shock of it all, you know? It all came suddenly and we'd split up then she was with Katie and I just needed time to digest it all... We're okay.' Lia replies causing Courtney to smile.

'I'm glad you're in a happier place.' Courtney says.

'Mm... Me too. It's not been the best start of the year but hopefully can only go up from here right?' Lia says and Courtney nods her head.

'Definitely.' Courtney replies.

****

'I'm just gonna go change her, okay? I won't be long. Do you want any drinks or snacks brought back?' Courtney asks as she stands up with Bunny balanced on her hip.

'No, I'm alright.' Leah replies smiling as she passes Courtney the changing bag before watching the brunette make her way out of the aisle and towards the exit. It's currently halftime and Barcelona are 2-0 down which is not the way any of them expected this game to go.

'You two look happy...' Lia says softly once the brunette is out of earshot.

'We are. I really love her, Wally.' Leah says quietly and the Swiss-midfielder nods her head.

'I know you do. Everyone can see it a mile away... Are you guys living together now, like officially?' Lia asks and Leah shakes her head.

'No, not yet. I mean I'm always at hers because it's easier with Bunny and stuff to have all her stuff around but I still have my own apartment that I occasionally go to.' Leah replies.

'Why don't you guys just move in? If you're already practically living at her place anyway why not make it official?' Lia asks and the blonde shrugs her shoulders.

'I don't know. I think I just- After our blip I don't want to rush things. I don't want to mess this up.' Leah admits.

'I don't think you will mess it up. You've already said yourself that you practically stay at her place so making it official isn't going to change anything between the two of you.' Lia says softly.