Rubrics

1. First impressions:
Title (10) + Blurb (10) + Cover (10) + First Chapter (10) = 40

*****

2. Digging deeper:
Cover & title (10):
- 8-10: The cover is attractive. Its appearance is appealing to the eye, accents the title of the story, and seems appropriate for its genre.
- 5-7: The cover looks good, but it may not reflect the genre very well. There might be too much clutter on the cover to read the words.
- 1-4: The cover is very bland. It doesn't attract the reader much, and not much effort went into its creation. The title either doesn't fit with the cover or the cover doesn't reflect the genre.

Blurb (5):
- 4-5: The blurb introduces the main characters and the premise well. The author has laid the primary conflict out well. There is a strong pull from the blurb that makes the reader start the story. There are 1 or less SPAG mistakes.
- 3: The blurb provides some plot details and hints at characters. There is a subtle pull on the reader to start the story, but it could definitely be stronger. There are 2-4 SPAG mistakes. The blurb may have confusing wording.
- 1-2: The blurb is very vague, doesn't introduce the plot very well, and struggles to pull on the reader to start the story. There are 5+ SPAG mistakes. The blurb doesn't seem to match the cover or the title and, upon further review, may not quite match the story, either.

Grammar & voice (20):
- 18-20: The author uses accurate SPAG consistently. If the author deviates from SPAG, it is for stylistic impact.
- 12-15: The author makes 2-4 SPAG mistakes per chapter.
- 2-5: The author makes 5+ SPAG mistakes per chapter.

Plot & pacing (10):
- 9-10: The reader can ascertain the basis of the plot through a well-paced introduction within the first five chapters. The plot is original, character-driven, and there is clear relevance to the genre. The plot fully engages the reader within the first five chapters, using exceptional writing to keep the reader interested.
- 6-8: The reader can ascertain the basis of the plot through the first five chapters, but the pace of the introduction feels a little rushed or too slow. The plot has some elements of originality, is character-driven, and there is some relevance to the genre. The reader is engaged with the plot.
- 1-5: It is challenging for the reader to ascertain aspects of the plot within the first five chapters. The pacing is significantly rushed or too slow. There is a lack of originality and the story seems to be disconnected from its genre. The author could utilize further tools to improve engagement between the storyline and the readers.

Characterization (20):
- 18-20: Distinct personality traits and characteristics of all introduced characters are evident through effective storytelling using actions, thoughts, and dialogue as opposed to using strictly descriptive techniques. Character actions reflect the plot, the dialogue is engaging and fitting to the setting and character persona, and there is evidence of relatability to the story's characters. Protagonist(s) and supporting characters are well-rounded/complex.
- 12-15: Distinct personality traits and characteristics of some introduced characters are evident through effective storytelling. The author uses mostly descriptive techniques to relay characters, but also includes some actions, thoughts, and dialogue to support characterization. The author could improve the characters' actions and dialogue to enhance the storyline. Protagonist(s) are well-rounded.
- 2-5: The story includes little evidence of personality traits and characteristics. The author could increase the usage of storytelling techniques, such as descriptions, dialogue, actions, and thoughts, to support characterization and the plot. Characters are challenging to relate to, and they lack evidence of complexity. The characters are often contradictory in their description, such as appearance or traits explicitly stated by the author.

Harmony within genre (15):
- 15: The story does exceptionally well at maintaining the elements required for its genre while remaining original. Its genre remains consistent and ties in with its blurb and cover. By the end of the 5th chapter, it's clear the author knows how to progress the story in its respective genre.
- 7-10: The story has a defined genre, but the plot introduces foreign elements that either don't blend well with the storyline or seem to come out of nowhere. It has a disjointed correlation with its blurb and cover. By the end of the 5th chapter, the author may have drifted slightly from the original genre.
- 3-5: The genre doesn't seem to match the story at all. The blurb and cover don't seem to correlate with the plot, and there are many clashing plot elements that make for a very confusing read. By the end of the 5th chapter, the author has drifted away from the original genre or never introduced it to begin with.

Originality (20):
- 20: The beginning of the story pulls the reader in by using original and hooking content. Word choice is used to deepen the story through imagery, description, and metaphorical writing. The author incorporates any setting or world-building in a way that is natural and vibrant. The blurb indicates that the plot is unique and one-of-a-kind.
- 15: The beginning of the story has some evidence of a hook and is engaging to the audience. Word choice is unique, and the author uses imagery and description. The plot has some elements of originality, but there are a few cliches.
- 2-5: The introduction to the story is predictable and lacks opportunities for readers to become engaged and immersed in the story.

Total: 100

*****

3. Final thoughts:
No rubric yet, as I haven't decided how I'll handle this. I'm studying other review books for ideas. This may be an unscored, general overview for prospective readers. We'll see.

******

Credits:
These rubrics come from the Blossom Awards 2024 by TheBlossomCommunity_. For Round 1, we had 40 points to allot based on Title, Blurb, Cover, and First Chapter. I assigned 10 points to each category, and I included any chapters prior to the first chapter (prologues, intros, author's notes, etc.) in the First Chapter category. That is my first rubric. For Round 2, the organizer provided us with a specific rubric. I modified the wording slightly, and that is my second rubric.

 I modified the wording slightly, and that is my second rubric