PROLOGUE

꧁꧂

𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝟏𝟐, 𝟏𝟖𝟎𝟒

𝐒𝐀𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐒 are usually the quiet day in the Leighton's family home. You can find the Eldest child, James. Reading in the library and catching up on his studies. Lord Leighton is usually in his office, handling the financial prospects of his recent purchases. The youngest child as of late, 12 year old Loretta Leighton is most certainly off wandering the garden with her best friend Eloise Bridgerton. Speaking of whatever nonsense or gossip any 12 year old girl could think of, or she is studying her French in her room. Then there is Lady Leighton. Who is knitting in the family entertainment room, unable to move around as much as she usually does. Since she is 9 months along with the soon to be, newest child of the Leighton household.

It's a quiet Saturday like normal, and you can hear the sound of rain drops hitting the window if you listen hard enough. Loretta is up in her room, reading a book about French History for her tutoring class. Everything is how it has always been. Quiet and peaceful. That was until you could hear a horrid scream coming from downstairs. Immediately Loretta shot up and make's haste out of her room. That is when she sees her mother grasping the railing below her, while screaming in pain.

"Loretta.. Call your father.. it is time-'' The pregnant women yells out, breathing heavily Loretta nods vigorously as she runs to her fathers office. Swinging the door open, with a face full of concern

"Papa! It's Mama, the baby- i-it's coming! Hurry.. she is in pain!" 12 year old Loretta lets out as her father rises up. The young brunette girl moves hastily out of her father's way. As Lord Leighton walks out of his office and down the stairs to his petrified wife, he notices her concerned look while his wife shakes and says "Something is not righ-'' The lady try's to let out but cuts herself off to release a gut wrenching scream. The 12 year girl above jumps at the sound of her mother's scream, just as saying so. James, the Eldest child rushes out of the library noticing the scene below him. Just as James was to speak his voice, Lord Leighton states in a hurry, "James! Take Loretta to your room and do not! And I mean it do not, come out until I permit other wise. Do you understand me?" The father states while looking up the stairs for confirmation that his son will take himself and youngest sister away. "James! Do you understand me?" The lord says in a stressed tone.

James stands frozen for a short second while his eyes are on his distress mother. Looking away and meeting the eyes of his father, he nods vigorously and takes my hand. Rushes us into his closes off room away from the scene of their mother frantically screaming. James try's to calm Loretta down, since she is rather more concerned about the state of her mother's health. Although against his numerous attempts to calm her down, Loretta just couldn't get over the pit in his stomach. Telling her something is gonna go terribly wrong.

Loretta and her mother have always shared a closer bond than her and her father. Being the second child born, her mother was very thrilled that she gave birth to a little girl. Whom she can dress up like she never was able to, do her hair how she used to. To be able to be a mother to a little girl who looked to up to her. To say they were close was an understatement. It's not that Loretta and Lord Leighton never connected, they did. They were very close, just not as close as the bond of a mother and her first daughter. So when Loretta heard the shrills of her mother each and everytime she had to push, it hurt her soul.

It was very clear to the pair of siblings, that there mother was in labor. A hard and extricating labor at that. It was loud and chaotic in the Leighton household at the moment. Which was rare on a silly Saturday afternoon.

After a great while, the screams of their mother stopped. It was quiet again. That was until they heard the cry's of a babe. A loud baby at that, a baby that caused such chaos on their quiet Saturday afternoon. After a few moments, a nurse knocked on the door. Entering the room with a monotone look on her face. Looking to the Eldest child, she nods and gives him a look. A almost sorrowful look, Loretta looks up at her brother confused whilst he takes her hand to hold. He walks forward, hand and hand they walk down the stairs together. James has blank face on, whilst Loretta was excited to see her mother and her brand new sibling. She didn't quite understand why James had such a depressed look on his face.

That was until the entered the room and see their father. On his knees before his pale wife. Holding their child for her to see. Henry's face turns to see that his children have arrived in the room. James eyes dart to his mother, and lets go of Loretta's hand to stand by her side. Standing still Loretta freezes. Not able to comprehend the sight infront of her eyes. Once was Loretta's sweet smile turns into a sorrowful frown.

Turning his head, Lord Leighton see his eldest daughter standing at the edge of the bed. Raising his hand, he reaches for her and nods his head towards himself so she can come closer. It takes the young girl a few second to do so, and when she does she is met with the face of her mother who is smiling weakly at her.

Standing by the side of her mothers bed, her brother stands on the other side while there father and newly born sister stand close behind the 12 year old. In a cracked voice, the brunette mutters out, "Mama please... please don't go" fighting the tears that urged to role down her face. Finally coming to terms for what is about to happen. Just as she says that, her mother squeezes the siblings hands while looking back and forth at her children and husband.

Lord Leighton sniffles and says in a cracked voice "Children you must say your goodbyes.. it is hurting your mother to stay any longer then she has to now.." He says choking on his last words clinging to last bit of hope he had, but leaves it as it will not save his dying wife. The 13 year old boy lets out a cry, looking down at his feet. Clinging to his mother's hand as he begs her to not leave just yet. Soon enough, all the Leightons were in shambles and in tears. About to loose the women who had glued the family together.

That night Lady Margot Leighton died. 

The mother died from complications and blood loss due to child birth. Leaving her Husband Henry Leighton, her son James Leighton, her eldest daughter Loretta Leighton, and the newborn daughter of the married couple. Which they did not name. No one would say it, but something changed that Saturday night when the last beck of air left the lungs of what once was Margot Leightons body. What once was meant to be a quiet Saturday afternoon, was filled with the loss of a loved one and a birth of a new one. But effectively, the 3 Leightons collectively agreed to name the youngest child after the women who had given them everything they ever wanted. Love, respect, and trust. Margot Leighton.