shadowpersons

ELOWEN

She wakes up from some noise outside; the sun hasn't even risen yet. The stars still adorn the sky, and the moon is in the process of bidding farewell. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes and yawning, Elowen gets up from bed to peer through the window. The figures outside move like shadows, silent and agile. Suspicion creeps in – thieves, perhaps. She carefully retrieves her bow and a couple of arrows from the closet, always kept for safety. Peering through the window again, the figures are gone. Odd, they couldn't have vanished so quickly. Silently, she descends the stairs, bow in hand, keeping low and maintaining her guard. Her father's survival lessons, once neglected, come in handy now. Reaching the door, she opens it cautiously. The outside is quiet, almost peaceful, but Athena's unease hints at something amiss. Elowen locks the door, walking low toward Athena. Suddenly, they descend from the roof and trees.

Elowen straightens her back, holding her head high, addressing the shadowy figure before her. "Who are you?" she asks steadily, bowing slightly. The figure, holding a sword, regards her with an odd tilt of its head, then erupts into maniacal laughter. The attack comes unexpectedly. Elowen swiftly shoots arrows, hitting two, but their numbers overwhelm her. She lands blows with her bow, evading sword strikes, but a slice to her leg and a hit to the jaw throw her against a tree. The shadowy figures close in, and a sword poised for the final strike. Suddenly, a knife protrudes from its throat, and the figure falls beside her. There stands Ramon, furious yet softened upon seeing her.

"There you are, you were missing the fun," he remarks, his fury mixed with worry. Elowen gets up; her leg stings, but she will manage. They stand back to back, facing the remaining shadowy figures together.

"When we're done, you'll have to tell me where you learned all of this," Ramon says.

"I will, but who says we'll survive?" she counters, her eyes scanning the surroundings. "I do. We're a pretty good team," Ramon replies with a smirking undertone. Their synchronized battle unfolds, a dance of combat that ends with the sunrise, leaving them panting but alive.

"Thanks for the help, but what are these things?" Elowen asks.

"I'll tell you later; first, let's fix that," Ramon nods toward her wounded leg. They head inside, Ramon bandaging her leg carefully in the bathroom. During the makeshift treatment, their conversation shifts to matters beyond the immediate threat.

"I saw them sneaking around through my bedroom window, so I took my bow and went to take a look. They were gone when I got outside, but it was just a diversion. They jumped from the roof and the trees," Elowen explains.

"Those smoking idiots shouldn't have been here. I have no idea what they were looking for," Ramon sighs.

"You said you would tell me where you learned to fight like that," he adds, changing the topic.

"My dad thought that even ladies should know how to stand their own in a fight. He also understood that I didn't want the life my mother planned. That's why he taught me how to shoot with a bow," Elowen replies, reminiscing about her father's teachings.

"Your dad sounds like a wise man and a good teacher, El," Ramon says, smiling sweetly.

"Yeah, he really is," she sighs, realizing she has spoken in the past tense. Ramon picks up on it, but Elowen decides to steer the conversation away.

"Where did you learn all that?" she inquires.

"There are some things you don't know about me yet, El. Let's just say I got professional training with my 'brothers.' They are more colleagues, but we call each other brothers," Ramon explains.

"So, Vesper and Blake?"

"Yeah, and there's one more, Callisto. I can't tell you more just yet, Elowen. Even though I really want to," Ramon admits, cupping her cheek gently.

As they descend the stairs, Elowen notices Vesper and Blake waiting downstairs, along with a third guy with bright blond hair and dark green eyes – Callisto.

"My lady, it's a pleasure to meet you. My brother didn't honor you by saying how beautiful you are. You're even more jaw-dropping than he said," Callisto greets with a flirtatious smirk.

"The pleasure's all mine, Callisto," Elowen replies, chuckling.